London - Brighton, any tips?

pete236
pete236 Posts: 204
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
Evening all.

I've just been trying to dig up some enthusiasm for my bike again after a long absence when I remembered a throwaway comment I made a few weeks ago. My step-father was talking about the London-Brighton ride and I said 'yeah I'll have a bash' . . .
Its only just sunk in really!
I'm hoplessly unfit at the moment (swimming two lengths or jogging half a mile will do me in!) and not been on the bike since before Christmas . . . I know i can get fit but the problem will be keeping the enthusiasm!
Does anyone have any ways to keep me looking forward to the ride? At least with longer evenings and (touch wood!) better weather getting out and about shouldn't be too hard. Also I've got a month of evenings to myself when my girlfriend goes home to Jersey - is it possible to turn missing someone into miles under the tyres?

If anyone has any ideas or has done the event before, any tips would be very much appreciated!
All the best, Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.