What is Rock Shox motion control

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Just been looking at the Rock Shox Tora Solo air front shox. They have motion control which is a small black knob under the bottom of the fork near to where the axle i(sorry if i didn't use the correct jargon). I understand this is the rebound control. What does it do exactly.

I had a quick fiddle in the shop and it didn't seem to do much.

THanks
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• it controls how fast or slowly the forks return to their uncompressed state after you hit a bump
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    You've adjusted the rebound which controls how fast the fork returns to it's normal position after it's been compressed.

The motion control is different and is the damping system
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Motion Control is Rock Shox damping control system and affects the compression damping circuit.

In effect the setting of the Motion Control cartridge controls how quickly the fork compresses for a given load - fully open and the fork will compress quickly under a light load, fully closed ("lockout") and it will take a real effort to shift it.

Lockout is a bit misleading for Rock Shox since they don't lock out completely, even with the compression damping fully closed off - you still have about 20 - 30mm of movement. As you get higher up the range fork models, you will also find Motion Control with Floodgate - the Floodgate controls how hard or soft the forks are when locked out.

The newer, top of the range coli-sprung Rock Shox (e.g. Totem and Boxxer) now have Mission Control - this allows the fork to be tuned for high- and low-speed compression damping, giving better bump sensitivity. In essence it allows you to control how quickly (if at all) the fork reacts to big hits as compared to small ones.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which model Tora? 302, 318, SL, Race?
  • npowell28
    npowell28 Posts: 204
    Oh it's the Tora SL.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone