Equipment up to it? Racing on Aksiums and a Compact?

2»

Comments

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    On a similar vein to the original question would turning up at a Cat 4 race with a shimano 105 equipped Focus Cayo be an error?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    On a similar vein to the original question would turning up at a Cat 4 race with a shimano 105 equipped Focus Cayo be an error?

Nothing wrong with a Focus. You'd be looked down on more if your group riding skills are dodgy :wink:
    nolf wrote:
    And don't get nervous about the kit or equipment of others. I've seen guys with full carbon, dura ace and lightweight standard wheelsets get dropped by a guy on a singlespeed

Looks like they should have probably gone for the Obermayers then.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

Not at all, it's pretty common.

Personally I feel more of a muppet with my red and black Cervelo RS with powertap wheels riding around in the 4th cats than I do with my 105 equipped Giant SCR 1.

As noted, it's riding skills which you should be more nervous of, riding in a consistent line is the thing people seem to struggle with.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Did my 1st 4th cat a couple of weekends ago on a Focus Cayo and it was fine. There was everything from no expense spared Pinarello Princes (very nice too) to cyclo cross hacks with tape hanging off the bars. Didn't feel out of place at all, and finished in the top half. Bike was great and attracted a fair bit of interest as they are getting a good rep and you don't see that many about.

Gearing on a compact was fine, and never ran out of gears. Avg speed was about 23/24mph, with a max of 35mph on a sprint for a prime (well you've got to give it a go). Avg cadence was 90 with a max of 123. Legs were not shaved, but I was wearing shades 8)

Really enjoyed it and will deffo be doing a few more.

To be honest, next time I'll be worrying more about what armour to wear than what bike I'm riding. It can get a bit 'interesting' at times.

Go for it.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • jamiecurry
    jamiecurry Posts: 34
    im using a compact on my dolan and its perfect,

cadence and keeping it consistent is the main thing, keeping an easy gear spinning in a road race important so the 50 on the front and the 16 or 18 tooth on the rear makes a sweet combination.

as for the aksiums theyre strong and reliable and not too heavy so stick with them, i alternate between my ksyriums and my cosmics but theyre not that light at 1600 for a pair inc skewers not inc tryes

main thing about wheels is the reliability first then the aerodynamics, lower spokes the better and if theyre aero spokes better too but for bunch racing your sheilded most of the time
    Inverse Racing UK / Bikefood
    http://www.inverseracing.com