Rear derailleur not changing to large sprocket

dUNC
dUNC Posts: 73
edited March 2009 in The workshop
Hi.

Thought my tough ride in this morning was attributable to beers out last night, but on getting to work I realised that my rear derailleur isn't shifting into the large sprocket - my "bottom" gear is the second sprocket in, and the next couple in are out by one also. I think the 4th or 5th sprocket (i.e. in the middle) seemed to share the same index - i.e. it didn't shift for when I pressed the lever - and then the 3 smallest sprockets were in the correct positions.

Does anyone have an idea what I need to muck about with to get it right? Is it the index adjustment barrel? And what might have caused the problem?

I cleaned the bike yesterday including taking the axle out the back wheel to try and fix a grinding noise I was getting from there. I'm pretty certain I didn't screw something up but can't rule it out entirely!

(ps it's been sitting in the shed for about a month so can't be sure when the problem appeared)

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Try turning the barrel towards the sprockets,a little bit at a time.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • dUNC
    dUNC Posts: 73
    Thanks, I'll try that when I head home. Hopefully it works cos it's all uphill on the way home! :D