Newb Bike comparrison

prgg
prgg Posts: 8
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all, new to the site and I have had a good read of the posts but would like some specific advice now.

My 2 boys are now just about off the stabilizers so I need to get out with them now, no real mountains to conquer just roads, cycle paths, parks and forest. I have been down to the local Halfords and looked at the Apollo and Trax range and to be honest at approx £200 they don't look to great.

I have been looking around and seen a MuddyFox which I had as a kid and they were great bikes but expensive to me as a teenager but I Have been looking at a "rival" that is sub £200 link :

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... Rival+Bike

Not that I would buy from Argos.

Or I have seen the Decathlon again at sub £200 link :

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider ... -34963795/

I dont want to "buy cheap, buy twice" I am a big lad 6ft2 and built for comfort rather than speed these days any advice on these or others (I have gone with hard tail as I see no point in full suspension for my needs) would be greatly received

PG

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Welcome to the forums.

Choice is a bit limited at the 200 mark, you might find a decent 24 / 27 speed 08 model at reduced price but I doubt it'll squeeze under 200. The Decathlon stars in the 'What Hardtail' sticky in the 'Buying Advice' section in that price range and would be a safe bet.

If you go Halfords you want the Carrera range, so the Vulcan is what you'd start looking at. Halfords do regular deals so prices dip: Carrera Vulcan V also appears in the What Hardtail sticky.
  • prgg
    I saw the Decathlon on the Sticky, but did not know if the MuddyFox range was better quality, I am concerned about going to my local CycleKing or halfords and getting tat.

I have not seen many reviews on MuddyFox or Dawes and wondered if I should steer clear these days.

Budget is not the issue for me if spending 50 quid gets a much better bike I will spend it just won't tell the wife, but I need to be realistic for my casual needs hence the self imposed budget.

The Carrera range get's good reviews on the halfords site so I might take another look, my wife also needs a bike and we have looked at the Appolo range in halfords but again with reservation.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Muddy Fox in Argos doesn't look too good - not against the Decathlon anyway. Argos have no onsite help, no way to try it out, assemble, free service or carry out warranty work.
  • prgg
    Looks like a trip to Decathlon Lakeside then as it seems OK down in price now to £199

As I said I was not going to buy it from Argos, as you rightly say, you can't try it and the knowledge of the staff on Bikes is going to be close to 0, just wondered if it was worth looking at eh brand, they have a few @ about £200

Cheers