Help for an impulsive newbie!

Prodriver
Prodriver Posts: 68
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, just got the biking bug which I last had pre-kids. Now the boys are older we've started again. Registered on a couple of forums, of which this is one, to seek your expert advice!

Saw an advert for a GT i-Drive 3.0 frame so went to investigate. It had Rockshox Recon 351s with remote lockout, XT front & rear mech, LX crankset, GT seatpost and Tioga saddle - it was advertised for £20 (yes £20!)

So, I bought it and now have the job of building it up - never done it before!

Anyway, to the question - probably the first of many!

What chain do I need? The LX cassette appears to have 34 teeth on the large gear on the wheels I bought - would any of HG53/73/93/XT/XTR Dura Ace be compatible?

Also (told you there would be a few queries!) acquired some Avid BB5 disc brakes but the caliper bolts, although they are the right centres to locate on the frame go straight through the hole on the frame - do I need a nut or some kind of adaptor?

Thanks, in anticipation!

Nige

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a SRAM PC971 chain or PC951. I am assuming it is a 9speed you require.

Don't quite follow you on ther last part! Pics would be good. Some require adaptors, but the threads are in the caliper - the bolt passes through the eyelets on the frame and screws into the caliper which sits on the other side.
  • Prodriver
    Thanks Supersonic.

Sorted the caliper out - muppet that I am!

It goes bolt, frame, caliper not vice versa :oops:

I'm after a 9 speed chain by the sounds of it.
  • supersonic
    Ha, you are not the first, and certainly not the last to ask about that with brakes!

The SRAM chains I feel are better than SHimano, and easier to fit.

Good frame, I had one for a while. £20, I hope it is not stolen! Does it have the frame number intact? (look under the bottom bracket shell)
  • Prodriver
    Just checked and there is a frame number there. :)

The girl who sold it had several bikes and needed the space!

Notice you have a Zaskar.....I bought a GT LTS 3000DS off eBay (!) dangerous I know but I'd always lusted after one since the last time I went biking.
  • supersonic
    I hope her bloke isn' t on holiday and gets back to see its gone!

I lusted after the LTS DS too - the 2000 in that copper colour. Had to make do with a Zaskar though ;-)
  • Prodriver
    I hope so too, although she only has my phone number :lol:

This one had been sitting a while in a shed but, luckily, it appears to have cleaned up into great condition.

I think it had been played with as it had Middleburn RS3 crankset, XTR mechs, XTR hubs, Velocity wheels, Marzocchi Bombers. It does have Sachs gripshift which I'm not 100% sure I like but it is very positive. Apparently it was a 'Team Edition' frame but I don't know what the 'standard' spec was.......anyway, for £175 I was well chuffed to get hold of it :)

Don't suppose you'd know where I could lay my hands on some fixings for both ends of the Vanilla R rear shock for the i-Drive?