Are all inner tubes the same?

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I need to stock up on inner tubes (went through three on a 40 mile ride today). I've been looking around and can see a 5 pack of Ritchey comp lightweight inner tubes on Chain Reaction for £13 which seems pretty good value.

It set me wondering - is there much difference between different prices of inner tubes? I've previously bought Continental tubes which have seemed fine (but are nealry 50% more expensive). Will I regret buying a cheaper product?

And another simple but probably more important question:
My wheels are 700c but Chain Reaction only sell 26 x 1.5 inner tubes. I'm pretty sure that 26" tubes are only for mtb tyres - if so, then they're not going to fit my 700c road bike wheels?

Comments

• bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    Some of the cheaper tubes are very thin and to me do not seem as durable long term. For example a Decathlon bought tube at £1.99 for two went at the valve at a very inconvenient moment. I use Conti tubes which seem better.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    MTB tubes won't fit road wheels/tyres
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I was having the same problem with punctures. I then gave in and bought a stronger set of tyres which seems to have done the business
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    bilsea159 wrote:
    Some of the cheaper tubes are very thin and to me do not seem as durable long term. For example a Decathlon bought tube at £1.99 for two went at the valve at a very inconvenient moment. I use Conti tubes which seem better.

Some bad experiences with the Decathlon tubes here also. The rubber compound seems very, well, un-rubbery (kind of rigid and pasty), and I've had way more punctures on these than any other tube.

Steer clear of any claiming to be light weight - they are just thinner, and the few grams saving in weight (which you will not notice) will be more than made up for in minutes/hours spent at the roadside patching the buggers!

a serious case of small cogs
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I usually buy Schwalbe SV15s or Raleigh TA500s. They both seem fine.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I'd stick with Vittoria, Michelin, Continental - recently bought an Aircomp Ultralite, Vitoria Ultralite (not an Evo), and Conty 28 (standard) - the Aircomp ultralight's the lightest but loses pressure quicker than the Vitoria or Conty - prefer the Vitoria out of the 3 - virtually no pressure loss - very pleased - The Conty seems robust - haven't tried a Conty lighweight (Supersonic) yet though. All the top brands seem pretty good, tbf.