front derailleur stuck on the big ring

grantstats
grantstats Posts: 43
edited May 2009 in The workshop
Hey Everyone,

Need some help. Chain is stuck on the big ring, and not sure how to get it down. I have 105 shifters and front mech, and is new at 3 months old. The cable is very tight, and when I try and shift to the bottom ring, there is no 'click' on the sti.....

All help appreciated.

Thanks
FCN 4

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does the cable go slack?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i have tried to loosed at the top but doesn't slacken...
    FCN 4
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Nick means when you press the lever to try to shift gear. Does the cable stay loose or slacken off?
  • oh ok...

No the cable is pretty tight all the way through, if anything it shifts a tiny bit. When shift I am pressing it the whole way to get any kind of reaction.
    FCN 4
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    In that case, first release the cable from the mech using the allen key pinch bolt. The mech should spring back onto the smallest chainring. If it doesn't, clean it and lube it until it moves freely, then refit.

I'm guessing that it will be fine though. Another possibility is dirty cables, but both of these problems would come on slowly as gunk builds up. If the lever still won't click and release cable when the cable is disconnected, then the shifter is damaged. I suspect this is the case unfortunately, and they can't really be repaired. If this is the problem though, getting the shifters warrantied shouldn't be a problem.
  • jobless
    jobless Posts: 29
    I have had this happen twice on 105 levers and a quick google search will tell you that it is very common with 105. The lever is broken. What has happened is the ratchet has been pulled too far and it cannot be released. If it is 3 months old - contact where you got it from and they should supply you with a warrantee replacement. there is a 2 year wantantee on them. It is a ball ache, i know (having had it twice), but it is a known issue and you will get a replacement. the biggest problem is getting it though as they are not supplied in single levers and as it is always the front that goes the retailers usually have a glut of r/h levers but no lefts! So the lead time can be lengthy. best of luck.

Hope that helps.
  • Great I will give that a try. Will let you know.
    FCN 4
  • grantstats
    grantstats Posts: 43
    Thought I would give an update on the stuck sti. As it happens it was broken and was changed without complaint by Evans in a day. They took a shifter from there in house stock are claiming a new set from the bike manufacturer.

Also gave teh bike a once over including checking all the indexing, cleaned and lubed the whole system and the bike a clean.
    So overall a good response and well handled.

Thanks for all the info about the cause though.
    FCN 4