Tent

the ferry
the ferry Posts: 258
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
......not sure if in right topic box!........but can somebody PLEASE recommend a good EASILY constructed 4 man tent......just put 10years on myself trying and failing to put one up!!! :cry:

Comments

• tarpaullynn
    tarpaullynn Posts: 146
    Is it for cycle camping? If so you need something lightweight and why does it need to be so big?

If its for general camping and weight isn't an issue I'd say the easiest type would be a Khyam as they go up really easy in minutes. Bit pricey though and I don't fancy them at all.

We/ve had numerous tents over the years for camping weekends away in the car, none of them have been hard to put up but some are easier than others, some people prefer domes, some prefer tunnel types but tent choice is subjective.

What make of tent do you have incidentally?
    Tarpaullynn
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    We have been using the Jack Wolfskin Worlds End RT (a bit heavy, details on our page look in tips). We will be getting another tent thats a bit lighter shortly, and are curently looking at Hilleberg Namatj GT or the Nallo GT http://www.hilleberg.se/default-e.htm and the Fjellheimen Camp from Helsport http://www.helsport.com/helsport/. I must say we are leaning towards Hilleberg from concerns about ventilation in warmer climates.
    I admit they are pricy but are known to last.
    We are going for tunnel tents and the main reason is the large porch area, we have been stuck in nasty weather a few times and were glad to be able to cook and move around in the tent with a storm blowing outside. They are simple and quick to put up and we can set up the inner and outer parts at the same time which is good while setting up in the rain. Theres only one issue and thats you always need to ancher it down, tunnel tents don't stand on their own like dome tents. Cant have everything :)

Picture 1 http://www.geocities.com/bike_journeys/WorldsEnd1.jpg
    Picture 2 http://www.geocities.com/bike_journeys/WorldsEnd2.jpg
  • the ferry
    Thanks for replies....abondoned it in garden last night and just had another hour plus tackling it. This is with full instructions and some further instructions on the net after a plea similar to mine.

Today was whole family plus others and still a mile off!! :cry:

The thing is a Pro action Continental plus 3+3

The main problem is two poles that should fit in to a key ring thing that i totally don't trust and cannot fathom......abondoned again.

Day off tomorrow...... :x
  • tarpaullynn
    The key ring thing you mention is probably a ring and pin system.

As its a 3+3 I would imagine it has a bedroom at each end with a central living area?

Regardless of the layout of your tent all the poles will have metal ferrules (tubing) on them, the pins go into the metal tubing then the webbing which should have an adjuster on it needs to be tightened up. Make sure these webbing straps are slackened right off before starting though.

ring.jpg
    Tarpaullynn
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    My 3 bedroom Jamet doesn't have adjusters on the webbing and it has these pegs on a key ring. Getting the poles in is seriously physical so if yours is the same style, its normal, they are like that. You will usually have one set of poles for the central dome and other smaller sets for each bedroom. Make sure that you get the right poles in each place. You will need to ease the poles round the bends in the outer part (flysheet to oldies like me) to help easing them into the peg at the foot. Make sure that you get the poles in the right order on the foot if there are three poles meeting at the same foot (if you have three bedrooms). Put up the central dome first, clip the bedroom poles into the feet second and put the pegs in third (make sure the pegs are to hand if its windy!). Don't forget to clip the little cover in place on top of the dome before starting to put the tent upright (we always forget and you need long arms afterwards). Putting this style of tent up is hell when its new but does get easier with practice.
    If you are in the market for an easier tent, the Khayam is very easy. The major disadvantage is the volume you need to transport it; see one folded before you buy! Small hatchbacks stay away!
    With experience I would recommend a tent with aluminium poles rather than fibreglass. Fibreglass ones split. I would also prefer a big tunnel if you can make do with two bedrooms, the space is more usable than in a dome.
    Cheers Jo
  • the ferry
    .....thanks again for reply.......i've taken it down now with a view to having another go soon.

Like yours the web doesn't have an adjuster. I can see how it's meant to work and i'm sure people are using similar styles all the time.

For me though the poles seem to be under so much pressure that they could easily slip the keys. As soon as i let go of them they were popping out. The thing that got me was that i had plenty time, decent weather and it was in the back garden as in not rushing in the rain :!:

Would you peg out the triangle webbing before you start introducing the poles?

....happy days :roll: :lol:
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I don't bother to peg out beforehand, it's difficult to get the thing sitting square and with the poles clipped in to the pegs the central dome is free standing so you can move it about and line it up how you want. Peg out the corners of the dome before putting up the bedroom poles if you like. The pegs on the rings should enter into the pole right up to the limit (the round bit that holds them onto the ring). If they do that they are unlikely to come out by accident particularly when the fabric of the tent is held down by the tent pegs. The peg and pole arrangement on mine is very solid, getting it apart at the end of the holiday is just as physical as putting it together.
    Thinking again it is easier not to put any tent pegs in the ground before all the poles are erected. That way you can pull the thing around a bit to help get the poles on their sockets. With practice it gets easier.
    Final advice - don't try to get the tent back into its bag when you want to transport it!
    Cheers Jo
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    Here's a great new 4 man tent weighs about 2kgs

http://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html
  • My tent has these things on. Best bet is to insert one. Get someone to hold it. Go to other end of pole and do the same. Once they are under tension, they should be fine.

As to tent - buy the best you can. If you are driving places, I recommend Outwell tents. We've had our six years now and it is almost perfect still. The more use you get the cheaper it becomes. I think ours has currently cost us about £3 a night of usage and that goes down every time we use it!

For lightweight camping, you need to be spending a similar amount of money. Otherwise you end up with poor materials, poor construction and heavy weight. Look out for Macpac, Mountain Hardware, Terra Nova and Wild Country. All have a very good reputation.
    e
    Last years tents often go for bargain prices. Check out www.outdoormegastore.co.uk. Its full of bargains.

Martyn
  • tarpaullynn
    I'd add Robens to the above list, good quality and a little cheaper than some of the top brands, we have a 3 person Robens Black Shrimp thats ideal for cycle camping for 2. The added bonus of it is that it hasn't got ring and pins, you put the poles through the sleeve on the tent and one end is sealed, the other end goes into a cup then the straps are tightened up, doddle to put up single handed.
    Tarpaullynn