Had my first off today

Ellio
Ellio Posts: 100
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Nothing major but was off the trail having a bit of fun just going over the rough stuff when..... well I don't 100% know what happened but wasn't going all that fast and hit something and the front wheel just stopped/ground down and the next thing i know I am flying over the handle bars and coming down to earth with a thud, couple of tiny cuts a bit grazed and sore shoulder but apart from that I'm fine.

Comments

• gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Virginity gone!

Now you're a real mountain biker!!

Great that you're ok though and welcome to the club.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    You call that an off? Only joking!

Had my first big off last weekend (lots of little ones). Going downhill at about 25/30mph in a stream bed and the front wheel skipped sideways off a rock in the water. Got tangled in the bike, rolled a few times :oops: My knee was like a beachball all week and I can only just use my thumb now again. Knocked a gouge out of the handlebars and probably wiped out at least 3 endangered species in the stream (too dramatic?).

Anyway, good to hear you survived unscathed.
  • Hi Newbie here, I've just gone and finished a ride I started in August last year when I had my first big off . Not sure what happened, I have a vague memory of a dog barking then I was in the minor injuries unit of the local hospital. They did a great job of bandaging a deep cut on my leg and suggested I might want to get my wrist x rayed as it was at an odd angle. My wife took me over and lots of morphine later was told that I had smashed the wrist into 17 pieces, I had a four hour operation to put it back together and after 7 weeks in plaster had to have the plates taken out again as screws were doing something nasty to the bones. I now have a crooked wrist and waiting to hear if i will have another operation to straighten it up. On the plus side I started going to the gym to keep up my fitness levels while I couldn't cycle and I am in better shape now than I have ever been

Hasnt put me off bikes and I had a great excuse to buy a new bike with front suspension for my sore wrist. Also bought a helemt at the same time so If I do this again I will fully experience the pain without any concusion getting in the way, I dont know if the helmet would have saved my teeth as I lost a couple of them at the same time and I dont intend to find out.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good wrist guard ?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,121
    feck wiltsforester - that is a decent first crash!

You are going to have to work hard to do a better one :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I hit the over the handlebar eject button yesterday, my front wheel got swallowed by a boghole on the moors above Staveley luckily the bike was fine
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ellio
    Ellio Posts: 100
    took the bike out today and think I did do a bit of damage to the rear gears ooops
  • pofenwick
    pofenwick Posts: 11
    Had my first off the other week too, just started MTB again and I'm using a ridged bike at the moment until my new front sus comes cant wait.

Was going down a big hill when I hit the bottom front wheel dug in and I was ejected over the handle bars
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Did it look anything like this?

fail.JPG

First of many probably, crashing is the easiest way to know you're improving.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Crashing is a lot of fun if it doesnt hurt too much. Bit of an adrenaline rush and the relief of being ok....makes me laugh anyway. :lol:

When it hurts tho......not so good. :roll:
  • I came off big style before Xmas. About 30mph into 90 degree corner. Went for a small berm around the edge to carry speed through. Front tyre just strayed onto the grass on the top of the berm and BANG, bike went down and left, face went down and right. Both hit the floor hard.

Damage assessment:
    * Broken Giro Xen helmet - £70 to replace
    * Torn Altura jersey (worn for the first time that day) - £30 to replace
    * Sheared stem clamp plate and bent handlebars - £50 to replace thanks to great offer on Raceface from CRC!!!
    * Handlebar imprint in chest
    * Grazed face
    * Bruised shoulder
    * Bruised knee
    * Cut shin
    * Cut wrist/forearm

I obviously did the macho bloke "I'm ok" and got up straight away before falling back over in agony and with adrenaline shakes!! Beat the lads down the hill but had extreme pain for over a week anytime I moved or even breathed.

Funny though that even though it hurt like ****, all I could think was that next time I just need to pump the bars more for more traction into the turn. Didn't even consider that maybe slowing down could have been an option. Grrrrr. Power tools. More speed. (and probably more pain!).
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • tank3872
    tank3872 Posts: 9
    i had my first off when we had the snow an ice a few months back i was riding a cheap bag of bolts from halfords ploughing along my chain starts acting up i had a glance down to see my chain has come off,i look up to see bus shelter inches from front wheel!! needless to say sum how i crashed into the side of the bus shelter i ended up inside it with my forks buckled an my back wheel ruined an bent the headset facing the wrong way an me knocked out for a few mins lol.

i will never buy a bike from halfords ever again lol the pain it caused
  • I thought I had experinced the 'off' as its known, but reading some of your experinces I am nowhere near!!

mental note- look out for dogs, stones in river beds and bus shelters!!
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
    Sports don't build character, they reveal them!!
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    It's not an off until you've been carted off to hospital in an ambulance.

l8304874453_8413.jpg