Hello!

britishseapower
britishseapower Posts: 95
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, ive been lurking for a month or two so finally decided to join after getting back into biking after finishing uni and barely touching my bike for 3 years. I'm still unfit but getting there slowly, already lost 3 stone since last july :o mainly due to running though it has to be said.

I've started to add some 'new' (nowt expensive mind, mainly off ebay) bits to my kona fire mountain 01 to give it a new lease of life (and make it a bit lighter!) until i can save up for something later in the year/next year if it lasts that long!

I've got a new headset and was wondering is it worth having a go at fitting it my self? I've read the guides on parktools and bike magic and it seems like i could do it, i'm just reluctant to go bashing things with a hammer in case i brake them! The nearest LBS will do it for £15 but want the frame prepared, ie, with bars and forks already off with means carrying half a bike across town!

Also any one had a fork serviced at Evans? if so are they worth it as they would work out alot cheaper than sending it to TF tuned.
2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Right,

get the forks done by tf tuned, they'll do a much better job, it is worth the extra. As for headset, get the bike to do it, cycle there, ask to borrow some allen keys and then remove bars+stem and forks once you're there.
  • It's a rockshox judy race. Not new by any means but needs some TLC. So it's definaltey worth the extra then? i'll try and get it booked in then.

I thought about riding to the LBS but they said it could take upto an hour or two+ depending on how busy they are. Which is a bit pants. I'll find somewhere to park though i'm sure, if not my girlfriend's isn't far away so i'll park there.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT