Brookes saddles and bar tape

FranMartin
FranMartin Posts: 21
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm just about to order a Condor Fratello and am considering putting a Brookes Team Professions, Swift or Swallow saddle on complete with matching bar tape.

Whilst I've no problem with the saddle and have been using a B17 on a mountain bike for years I am unsure as to the durability of the bar tape - how often do you have to replace bar tape (I'll be doing a 65 mile round trip commute twice a week) and has anyone used the Brookes bar tape?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Bar tape can last for years if good quality and well fitted, unless you have a fall, then usually it gets torn - leather may be more durable however. You may also wish to change it if it gets really dirty, which might be an issue with tan leather.

The only tome you might need to change bar tape other than for wear and tear is if changing shifters, or brake (Shimano) or brake and gear (Campag) outers. This may not need to be done for a few years, even several.

I must admit, the leather tape would look great on the Fratello, but I think I would be reluctant given the cost and risk that it might need premature replacement.

I currently use Profile Design bar tape - not pretty or special, but it is non-adhesive, so I can re-use it over and over.

It might be possible to re-apply Brooks tape by using double sided tape, or it may even stay put without adhesive (the Profile does, but it is a different material).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't know the durability of the Brookes stuff but you might want to take a look at other leather bar tapes, keeping light bar tape clean could be more of an issue than it coming apart. But there are others including Handlebra:

http://www.handlebra.com/

Don't know how hard it would be to get hold of this stuff but by all accounts very good.

ps did you decide on a colour for your Fratello?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    sometime in april the websites etc will start stocking Charge bar tape in tan if you're looking for brown.... I'm going to get some and match them with a tan charge spoon, but I bet they'd match nicely with a tan brooks
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    Itried the Brooks bar tape and found it very uncomfortable although I suppose you could wrap it over gel padding. I'm not sure how it would react to rain either being leather.
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    I agree the Brooks bar tape looks good but I found it completely unsupportive - no cushioning what so ever. Might as well use a bare bar.
    You can get tan/brown coloured cork bar tape (in Condor in fact) that will match the Brooks saddle and be much more comfortable (assuming your going for a honey or brown saddle!).
  • Thanks everyone for the advice.

Haven't chosen a colour for the Fratello yet but it's likely to be the slate grey - I'm going to wait until I see them in the shop.

I might see if they do a delete option on the graphics - it does seem a bit fussy this year.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Really? I think this year's graphics are positively subdued compared to last year, but last year's I feel were better, but that's just me! :lol:
  • flashman469
    flashman469 Posts: 102
    In contrast to the fellas above, I find the Brooks handlebar tape quite comfy. I have mine fitted to my Mercian and have used it for 600k audaxes without any comfort problems. I guess it depends on what you are used to previously and how well your bike/wheels/tyres etc soak up the bumps.