Northern Rock Cyclone

There are now over 1000 entries for the Cyclone with over 3 months to go. The modified route for the 100ml ride (now 101mls) seems to be attracting entrants even with the extra cliimbing involved. There are still plenty of places available but don't delay too long if you intend to enter.

There is also a surprise event lined up for the friday night at the Leazes Criteriums where riders can register for the saturday rides - more details will be anounced soon.

Two continental teams have also confirmed they will be riding the Beaumont Trophy Premier Calendar RR on the sunday.

All in all it is building up to be a great weekend of cycling. All details at www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk

Comments

• hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    Peter, I've signed up for the 100 miles event, but I have a real niggling on/off knee injury from a skiing "moment"* earlier this year. I'm still planning on doing the 100 miles, but "just in case" will it be possible to change to the 100km ride upon registration?

Cheers,
    Chris

* standing in a lift queue, minding my own business, as you do, an out of control twonk skied over the back of my skis... one ski stayed put and the other one caught. I thought I was going to get put in an Austrian jail for being very loud and abusive towards said twonk :oops:
  • hazychris wrote:
    Peter, I've signed up for the 100 miles event, but I have a real niggling on/off knee injury from a skiing "moment"* earlier this year. I'm still planning on doing the 100 miles, but "just in case" will it be possible to change to the 100km ride upon registration?

Cheers,
    Chris

* standing in a lift queue, minding my own business, as you do, an out of control twonk skied over the back of my skis... one ski stayed put and the other one caught. I thought I was going to get put in an Austrian jail for being very loud and abusive towards said twonk :oops:

Chris - on the day you can change rides mid way and you will still get a recorded time. I don't make this fact public OOPS!
  • hazychris
    Damn, that really will test my willpower on the day :lol:

Forestburn Gate it is then, for the conscience (and knee) test!!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • hazychris wrote:
    Damn, that really will test my willpower on the day :lol:

Forestburn Gate it is then, for the conscience (and knee) test!!

Cheers,
    Chris
    you got it in one :wink: That's when the true character of a man comes to the fore! Just please don't let me send the ambulance out to look for you at 9pm. I've got a Premier Calendar event to organise the next day :?: One of the few left I think :shock:
  • hazychris
    If you have to send out the ambulance at 9pm, just send it to the Gate :oops: hic!

Nothing will hurt any more, and Gold / Silver / Bronze will be second place to Broon :twisted:
  • hazychris wrote:
    If you have to send out the ambulance at 9pm, just send it to the Gate :oops: hic!

Nothing will hurt any more, and Gold / Silver / Bronze will be second place to Broon :twisted:
    It's a good pub and you could even ride home from there :D THE NEXT DAY :lol:
  • trig1
    trig1 Posts: 111
    lookin for somewhere to stay if i enter, is there any decent campsites near the start?
    cheers trig
  • trig1 wrote:
    lookin for somewhere to stay if i enter, is there any decent campsites near the start?
    cheers trig

trig - think there is one at Gosforth Park which is about 2 mls from the start. Contact Northumbria tourist board for more info.
    Peter
  • trig1
    trig1 Posts: 111
    thanks!
  • trig1 wrote:
    thanks!

entries now up to 1100 and rising fast :D There is an advert going out in the National Broadsheets and sunday papers this month and the target audience will be well in excess of 1M people :shock: That's going to bring in a few entries :roll:
    The 101ml rides seems to be proving to be very popular with entries up 33% on last year.
    It's going to be some sight with 1500 riders going up the Ryals. Wish I could see it but I'll be back at HQ making sure things run smoothly.

Don't delay entering for too long if you have not already done so - you don't want to miss out on a spectacular weekend of cycling, do you?
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    I've got my entry in again. This will be my 3rd year. Northumberland is a great place to cycle.The route is well signed and the rides all well marshalled. Feed stations well stocked and everyone is very friendly. The 3 distances means that everyone can take part from families with young kids right up to very senior citizens.The whole weekend is a credit to peter and his many helpers. Long may it continue..
  • ash68 wrote:
    I've got my entry in again. This will be my 3rd year. Northumberland is a great place to cycle.The route is well signed and the rides all well marshalled. Feed stations well stocked and everyone is very friendly. The 3 distances means that everyone can take part from families with young kids right up to very senior citizens.The whole weekend is a credit to peter and his many helpers. Long may it continue..

Ash - thanks for the endorsement, it's much appreciated. Entries so far for the sportive rides are 40% up on last year and the 101ml ride is up 15% so far on last year's final total. This is even despite I have added an extra climb :shock: . 1350 entries to date and still time to enter but places are filling fast.
    There are a few new features for this year which will be revealed soon. Lots of entertainment on the fiday night and saturday morning to compliment the cycling :wink: .
    If you haven't signed up yet you should do so soon or if you want to just be kept informed as a spectator you can sign up to the news letter on the website.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    Hey Peter, can you still register on the Friday evening at the Criterium?

Missed it last year as I was a late shift. However, I fully intend to be there this year (if only for inspiration for the 101 miler :? )

Just one more query........are the junctions marshalled in the Cheviots? :wink:
  • LardLover wrote:
    Hey Peter, can you still register on the Friday evening at the Criterium?

Missed it last year as I was a late shift. However, I fully intend to be there this year (if only for inspiration for the 101 miler :? )

Just one more query........are the junctions marshalled in the Cheviots? :wink:

I am hoping that most of the ride C (101ml) will register at the criteriums on the friday night to reduce possible congestion at the start on the saturday morning.

All routes are fully sign posted at each junction. There are no marshals apart from 6 NEG moto riders, 4 service cars and the army/air cadets a the feed stations. I haven't lost anyone yet so the signs must be working!
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    This is probably a silly question Peter, but is there plenty of parking on the day, as I will be travelling up from Hartlepool. Really looking forward to it.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    That's a warm up ride from Hartlepool TonyW43, what you bringing the car for? :wink::wink:

(says the guy from Morpeth who'll be bringing the bike in the car :oops: )
  • TonyW43 wrote:
    This is probably a silly question Peter, but is there plenty of parking on the day, as I will be travelling up from Hartlepool. Really looking forward to it.
    Plenty of parking at the Falcons Rugby ground :D
  • Thanks Peter for the useful info on here. I'm doing the 101 mile ride as my first serious test before the Etape, and really looking forward to it.

I'm driving up from Stockton so glad to hear about the parking situation.

If there's anyone close by (Teesside/NorthYorks) reading this, interested in some group rides prior to the event I'd be interested as these long solo rides are starting to get to me :?:
  • Thanks Peter for the useful info on here. I'm doing the 101 mile ride as my first serious test before the Etape, and really looking forward to it.

If there's anyone close by (Teesside/NorthYorks) reading this, interested in some group rides prior to the event I'd be interested as these long solo rides are starting to get to me :?:
    Entries for the three challenge rides are now up to 1500 with 8 weeks to go. The 101 ml ride is proving to be the most popular with 766 entries to date. This is 20% up on last years final total. I will be cutting this ride off at about the 1000 mark so if you intend to enter but have not yet done so you need to act soon. Entries are coming in at the rate of 100 per week :D
    The other rides are also filling up fast with lots of families doing the 33 ml ride this year.

Madison the Technical Sponsors have again come up trumps with prizes for the saturday rides. These include Garmin Edge Sat Navs, Giro helmets and Blackburn Delphi wireless computers. These will be awarded to those individuals and families raising the most amount of money for charity.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Thanks Peter for the useful info on here. I'm doing the 101 mile ride as my first serious test before the Etape, and really looking forward to it.

Have a look over at at http://www.mtbe.co.uk/index.php. The forum is quite Teesside based. The mid-week rides have just started. Next one is on Thursday from Yarm Station. There are the odd weekend rides too.