15 stone and £1000 to spend advice

darski
darski Posts: 9
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
currently ride a connondale hybrid in the wet and a carerra virtuoso in the dry. Really liking the road bike feel more on my 12k commute. Looking for advice as to new road bike at around the 1k price mark. Like the look of the focus range at wiggle. Will I notice the difference from the virtuoso? if I get a more expensive road bike to commute on?

Ta

Comments

• simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    Hi Darski

In short yes you will notice a difference. Whatever bike you buy at that price will invariably have a lighter frame and lighter, higher end componentry ie Shimano 105 / Ultegra or Campagnolo. I bought the Planet X pro carbon and love it. it's a joy to ride and I am more keen to take it out than previous lesser bikes, so you have the added grin factor as well. Even at £1k there are still upgrades you can make in the future like better wheels for example.
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • darski
    Hi

Thanks for the reply, The green cycling company has a 54 cm planet x pro carbon on sale for £999 with dura-ace. Does that sound like a good deal. Will it take my weight ok and I'm about 5,11 so what about the size?

Thanks
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    I bought a large and I'm 6ft. I'm not sure what that equates to in cms but if you look on planet x website you'll get geometry:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1049

I usually ride a 56 cms bike and large is an excellent fit for me.
    £999 is an excellent price if the size is ok for you. I'm not sure how they get a 54 if you look at the seat tube lenghts on the site. You could always phone them and go over the dimensions. I bought the ultegra build through c2w for £999, which is now up to £1199.98, and changed the brakes to ultegra as I preferred the same groupset throughout.

Will it take my weight ok

Depends on your weight!! I'm not sure what they recommend as maximum weight but give Planet X a call they're very helpful.
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    There are plenty of bikes around the £1k mark that you can consider. I had this dilema when I bought my first road bike a few years ago but decided to go for a good aluminium frame with carbon forks than a cheap carbon frame.
  • MIsterGoof
    MIsterGoof Posts: 128
    darski wrote:
    The green cycling company has a 54 cm planet x pro carbon on sale for £999 with dura-ace. Does that sound like a good deal. Will it take my weight ok and I'm about 5,11 so what about the size?

I'm just over 15 stone and ride a planet X Pro Carbon with PLanet X B wheels and a medium frame with a 110mm Stem, all coverd in Ultegra SL.

I think for frame size your in the middiole of medium / large, a very dificult one to call, bnut It'll certainly take your weight.

What part of the world are you in, there maybe a local cyclist haunt you could wander along to and hopefully see one.

It's loverly.

BUt I'd start at your LBS or several LBS to get an idea of what bikes are availble and what size to go for.
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Why not go for a steel framed Condor Fratello. Spec it with hand built wheels with strong rims like Mavic Open Pro's or stronger and that should cater for your weight.

If you're not racing why buy a race bike? A fast road bike made of medium/lightweight steel is much nicer to ride and live with and better suited to the average British road.

They're quite versatile as well. You can set them up for lightweight touring, fast commuting, sportive riding, whatever takes your fancy. No bling just quality road riding.

Have fun making your decission

Sean
  • darski
    I bought it anyway.....looked too lovely :lol: will let you know how I get on
  • darski
    Well bike arrived (planet-x) and what a beauty it is ! Can't believe how light it is. Almost perfect like new condition (done 50 miles so I was told) One slight dink in the top tube clear coat that is virtually invisible (can it be fixed?) and a little scuff on one brake lever. Dura-Ace looks really good, such a step up from the shimano 2200 on my carrera. Not riden it yet and its gonna live in the house I think don't wanna risk the shed. Gotta sort out some insurance, not sure what yet.

Put a new set of me usual pedals m520's not really road pedals but I'm used to them. May try a little run out this weekend if its dry (this aint going anywhere in the wet!) Have some protective film on the way from wiggle so I can protect it from further dinks. My wife thinks i'm mad for cooing over it lol.

Now trying to convice a few mates to buy road bikes so I can have a bit of company. :)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Lol, sounds just like when i got my Kuota, hats off mate 8)

Nail varnish will clear up alittle laquer flake or if it's a "dink" send it back, quick.

Nice bikes those are have fun mate.

P.s i'm in the same boat ie:mates, good luck persuading them i had no joy but still love riding......and........summer.......clocks......hhhnnghhghnn :D