Wheel Size??

art_08
art_08 Posts: 10
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All!

Can anyone tell me if wheel size is something that should be considered when looking for a bike?

I am in the process of looking for a new road bike and have noticed some have 26'' wheels and some 700c. Does this make any difference at all?

Cheers

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    26" is the nominal standard wheel size for mountain bikes - 700c is the standard for most 'road' bikes.

Not so much a choice of wheels as a choice of bike type...
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    art_08 wrote:
    Hi All!

Can anyone tell me if wheel size is something that should be considered when looking for a bike?

I am in the process of looking for a new road bike and have noticed some have 26'' wheels and some 700c. Does this make any difference at all?

On a standard road bike, unless you're short (below 5'2" say) you almost certainly do not want to go for anything other than a 700c it's just a pain in the neck to have something different to everyone else.

However if you're short, then toe-overlap becomes a problem (basically if you turn a corner whilst pedalling you toes hit the tyre) and 650c wheels are a way to overcome it.

Or as the other poster is saying, you're looking at mountain bikes and road bikes, and they're really just two different things.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/