Sleeping son on child seat

alexruthivor
alexruthivor Posts: 3
Hi, wondering if any one has any tips or recomendations for ways around my son slumping really badlly when he falls asleep in his seat. We use a reclining one but he still slumps forward, has anyone used one where this does not happen, he's about 20 months know.

Thanks

Alex

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    One of those 'horse collar' pillows (used for flight etc), but turned round so it's under the wee fellas chin?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nambe-Studio-34 ... 151&sr=8-4
  • cycledad2
    cycledad2 Posts: 50
    I've tried the following:
    -An inflatable neck support pillow, which worked great until about 20months, now it just slips of the bike.
    -Attaching velcro to the top of his helmet and having matching straps on the back of the seat, so i could stick his head to the seat. This worked fine, but it looked really uncomfortable as his head sort of hung by the neckstrap of his helmet.
    -Removing the helmet (works every time)
    -Adjutsing the rack so that it tilits a little further back , approx 5degrees ( i have a hamax plus, which tilts 25 degrees and the extra 5 really helps)
    -Avoiding potholes and sharp braking
    -Shoving his head back into position.

I have a vaude baby carrier hiking backpack that has really excellent neck supports, i'm sure there must be a simialr fix that works for bikes.

I believe the copilot limo has side walls that help prevent the rolling that causes the head to fall forward. Again i've been thiking about rigging something similar.

I assume the same happens in trailers, but you just dont see it.
    I think the only possible fix would be a much further recline ~ 40 degrees or more.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I used to use my bike seat specifically to get my two boys to sleep!

I remember on a holiday to France when it was too hot for them to sleep in the tent during the day I would go off on a bike ride and within five minutes of them in the co-pilot they'd be fast asleep.

They would slouch forward and look really uncomfortable but what I found was if Ipushed them back (which they always slept through) and tightened the harness then they'd generally stay in position.

They're both now too big to be on the bike and I really miss going for rides and having them behind me.

Cheers,

Neil.
  • We experience the slumping head problem with our CoPilot taxi and have yet to come up with a good solution. We try to position a blanket or stuffed animal so that our daughter's head is not directly hitting the safety bar.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Meh.

I know they look uncomfortable, but they aren't. Little tykes are pretty resilient, and their bodies are still quite different to that of an adult. At that age, if they can't breathe properly, they'll move.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • thanks for all the advice, will give the inflatable neck pillow a go, and carry on enjoying cycling around with my son. Loving the warm weather!

Thanks

Alex