Anyone up for a ride -S.E. Northumberland?

LardLover
LardLover Posts: 676
Hi

I'm new to this road cycling mullarky, having come over into the light from years and years spent mountain biking.

Was wondering if there was anyone in the south east Northumberland area (I'm in Morpeth) that fancied getting together for training rides?

I'm more of a pie-and-pint type rider and DEFINITELY not a racer, so if you're looking for a bit of competition you aint going to find it in me :wink:
That's not to say I'll not try my best to beat someone to the top of a hill (and fail badly :oops: ).

Mileage? probably around 60-70 on a nice day (at a slightly leisurely pace!)

Let me know.

:D

Comments

• 636sean
    636sean Posts: 24
    Hello mate, im just down the road in Cramlington, I'm at a similar level and always keen to get out for a few miles.
    send me a pm if you want to arrange a ride out
    cheers
    Sean
  • LardLover wrote:
    Hi

I'm new to this road cycling mullarky, having come over into the light from years and years spent mountain biking.

Was wondering if there was anyone in the south east Northumberland area (I'm in Morpeth) that fancied getting together for training rides?

I'm more of a pie-and-pint type rider and DEFINITELY not a racer, so if you're looking for a bit of competition you aint going to find it in me :wink:
    That's not to say I'll not try my best to beat someone to the top of a hill (and fail badly :oops: ).

Mileage? probably around 60-70 on a nice day (at a slightly leisurely pace!)

Let me know.

:D
    check out Gosforth Road club www.gosforthroadclub.com .There are racers in the club but also a few who do like the amber nectar :D
  • Yecomb
    Yecomb Posts: 26
    Hi,

Try http://www.noac.org.uk/

It's a Newcastle based group that arrange stuff through emails but have a regular saturday ride for anyone interested from Newcastle to Capheaton.

On 29th March there is a ride leaving from Morpeth.
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    You're probably stronger than you think-i consider myself a reasonable racer but when i ride in your area i suffer like hell with those heavy roads and awful winds! Especially that road out from Morpeth towards Belsay-i just crawl up there! Can't be just me?! I'm up there quite often as my gf's parents live not far from Morpeth.
  • LardLover
    636sean YGPM :D

Peter / Yecomb - I'm not yet ready to join the ranks of a club, although from experience (mtb experience) it's a great way to get your fitness level up.

nicknick, yes the wind can be a right pain at times and yes I crawl along too. Let me know if you fancy a ride partner, there's much nicer routes out north towards Rothbury.

Thanks for the replies guys, just looking for a regular riding partners at the moment, not club stuff (I'm not upto the distances at their speed just yet :oops: )
  • reyserf
    reyserf Posts: 34
    Hi I'm across at Hexham, I was getting across to Morpeth and the coast a couple of years ago. But because of family problems I have just been contenting myself with commuting part of the way into work (7 - 8 miles) I would like to build up my mileage for the summer so if you ever head west perhaps we could meet up. I need to build up my base fitness because together with a group of the guys from work I will be doing the Coast and Castles route in July and I'm to tight to back out having paid the deposit.

Cheers George
    George
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    where's the hill between Morpeth and Belsay like ? I regulary get out around there and there's some lovely bits of road, but it's very flat. Heading up towards Rothbury's a different story though
  • LardLover
    wiffachip, I think it's the gradual climb out from Morpeth, on open roads into the "always-there" headwind. Personally, I don't tend to head out that way, but like to come back to Morpeth along that road as it can be "tanked" :roll:

I tend to head out north of Morpeth, through Pigdon and Netherwitton etc. Depending on how I feel I either turn left at Netherwitton and go to Scots Gap via Rothley Crags then usually out to Bolam and back via Whalton. Or, through Netherwitton and up and over Ritton Bank to Forrestburn Gate. Then It's either left to Rothbury (or to Elsdon via Simonside if the legs have anything left!) or right and head back towards Scots Gap via Cambo.
  • LardLover
    Anyone else?