Mark Beaumont

pneumatic
pneumatic Posts: 1,989
edited March 2009 in Tour & expedition
Just back from a talk given by Mark at St Andrews University. Many thanks to the students who organised it for making it a public event.

What a fascinating guy he is. I would have assumed that explorers / record breakers would be arrogant, macho and self-assured (Action Man - style). His reflections on the experience of cycling around the world in record time were humble, enquiring, curious and wise. Now I admire him not just for what he does, but for what he is.

I can't wait for the book to come out; it is going to be a very good read.

In case you didn't know, his next plan is to ride from the highest peak in North America to the highest peak in South America, the longest uninterrupted land journey or some such thing.

Fast and Bulbous
Peregrinations
Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I wish I'd known about his talk, pneumatic, I'd have probably made the effort to go through. I briefly met Mark on last year's Pedal for Scotland - I say met, but I didn't actually get to speak to him - and heard him talking to some kids. It was general banter and giving them some encouragement. He came across as confident and self-assured, but definitely not arrogant, and a genuinely nice guy.

Didn't know about the North / South American thing. I hope the Beeb'll be filmiing it.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Crapaud wrote:
    Didn't know about the North / South American thing. I hope the Beeb'll be filmiing it.

They will be.

He was going to be rowing the North Atlantic with a team, but they lost their boat (it sank in training) so the BEEB asked him what he would like to do instead. They seem to be really taken with his broadcasting style.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    pneumatic wrote:
    They seem to be really taken with his broadcasting style.

Quite right. He's a national treasure. As has been said, his modesty is one of his most endearing qualities, and is in contrast to some other sportspeople I could mention (but won't :wink:).

a serious case of small cogs
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    pneumatic,

I saw Mark's lecture at Dundee uniiversity on the 29th of January. He was helping raise funds, for his wee sister's geography dept's trip to Trinidad later in the year. My daughter is at Dundee uni' and got us the tickets, I drove up with my wife from Ayr for the lecture. It was a sell-out, the big lecture theatre was filled and a smaller one also, with a video link to it. It was my honour to be able to say hello and shake the big fella's hand afterwards. Inspirational.

Shame about the boat trip, I didn't know about the sinking till you mentioned it.
    Johny