Why use different bikes????

Simon1890
Simon1890 Posts: 117
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
This may be a stupid question but.......

Other than the extension bars (which obviously give a more areo position) why are TT bikes different to normal road bikes? When adverts suggest TT bikes are quicker throughout their design, not just the aero bars, why not buy a TT bike as your everyday road bike?

Am i missing something?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Comfort. Speed and Comfort - you get one of the other really. The steep seat angles aren't great for climbing power either.

If you like riding with a flatish back most of the time and live somewhere flat a TT bike might be good :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    The reasons that the pros don't use them in races all the time was explained in a thread I made the other week.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12608224
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Comfort. Speed and Comfort - you get one of the other really. The steep seat angles aren't great for climbing power either.

If you like riding with a flatish back most of the time and live somewhere flat a TT bike might be good :?
    How do people ride 24 hour TTs then?

The biggest difference is geometry, TT frames have a very steep seat angle and road bikes have shallow angles, but by moving the saddle, you can get the same position as a road bike on a TT bike. But let's face it, the reason people buy a road bike for RRs and a TT bike for TTs is so they can buy more bikes!

I only have one bike. it's a track bike, with either TT bars or Drops (no hoods).
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Infamous explained about the geometry of the frame, but the set-up of the whole bike could be radically different. A TT bike is set up to go as fast as possible in a straight line, with no regard to braking or comfort. The handlebars of my TT bike are not far above the top of the front wheel, with a steeply downwards sloping stem. It's an extremely uncomfortable bike to ride unless I'm down on the tribars. If I'm on the tribars I can't brake quickly, which would be very unwise for most normal riding.

Ruth