New Bike advice, please

Lycra Man
Lycra Man Posts: 141
I have a Ridgeback Meteor flat bar road bike (52,42,30 Tiagra triple) which I am happy with. I like it's versatility. I have commuted on it, done 50 mile charity rides, and recently moved into Audaxes, with a 300km as my longest ride to date.
I have found a new challenge that I can't get out of my mind. It is a 24 hour bike race round the Bugatti (short) circuit at Le Mans in France this August. see www.24heuresvelo.fr for more details. So a very smooth surface indeed.
They allow hybrids to take part, but bar ends are not allowed.
So I want to buy a racing bike that will also be comfy for long Audaxes, and accept mudguards and a rack.
Althougn tri-bars are not allowed at Le Mans, I might try some on the Mersey Roads 24 hour time trial in June, which I tought would be a prudent practice run.
I have been recommended 'any good Audax bike', such as Thorn Audax, Hewitt Cheviott, Dawes Audax, and Condor, but many of these are over budget.
The Boardman Road Team Carbon fits the budget, as does the Specialized Allez Elite. But are they too 'twitchy' for long all-day rides?
Your recommendations please
TIA
Lycra Man
FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6

Comments