Riding Positions

gcaster
gcaster Posts: 152
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi.

I'm new to this whole road biking lark and just wondered if there's anywhere that shows what position to be in in different situations? I went on a ride the other day and had quite a sore lower back afterwards.

If somebody could give me any advice or point me in the right direction that would be good.

Thanks.

Comments

• Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    There are various websites and videos on you tube for bike fit, and having a look at pictures can give you a good idea of what a good fit looks like, providing the are professional racers or experienced riders, and not someone new to cycling, but this is for other people, not you. You will fit the bike how you want to, these guides and videos will get you to about 90% of where you need to be, then its a bit of tweeking yourself.

Also, when I first started riding a few months ago I got lower back ache, its just your body getting used to the bike, I still get it at times but usually on long runs now + 30 miles.

Also, try searching on here for bike fit, there will be other posts about it with links to websites etc, probably one from me aswell regarding fitment. :D
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    It's definitely worth taking the time to set your riding position properly cos you're going to spend a long time in the saddle. As Gav888 says there are loads of websites that can help. Key things are saddle height, how far forwards / backwards you have the saddle, saddle tilt and stem length. Because the saddle poistion determines how your hips / legs interact with the pedals it's important that you make as few compromises here as possible. If the correct saddle position means you're under / over stretching to reach the handle bars then change your stem length.

Once you've got a decent set up give it time and your body will adapt and become more comfortable on the bike. When I started cycling it took a few weeks for my back to settle down. You could also do some 'off bike' work to improve your muscle and back flexibility if you're not supple. The trick is to be patient and build your mileage up slowly. I've seen the 10% rule often quoted ie increase your total weekly mileage by less than 10% and your longest ride by less than 10%.

Lastly (cos this post is turning into War and Peace!!), if you subsequently decide to make any changes to the set up then only make one change at a time, make only minor adjustments and give it a couple of weeks for your body to get used to it before making the next change. Smaller is better than larger (ahem).

Good luck!
  • laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 248
    Setting up a bike can be complicated, but take your time, and use common sense, and you will get it sorted.

For example, if you want to be comfortable you don't want all your weight on your hands. Raising the bars bit by bit will therefore alleviate some problems. However, if your bars are too high, you will cut through the wind like a main sail - that is, not at all. It's all about finding suitable compromises for your style of riding.

I like whatPeter White Cycleshas to say about setting up a bike, and its sizing. Good luck.