First set up

scoi
scoi Posts: 103
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
So ive peeled the cellophane off and clipped on the lights and mudguards, what should i be doing before going out for the weekend: Have no idea what i should be doing with regards to the shock settings, seat height, handle bar angle etc etc. Any useful posts or websites around?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Here is a useful sticky on forks: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12597039. Your bike should have come with instructions on setting up your front/rear suspension. If not, head over to the manufacturers (of your forks/shock) website and download their user guides.

Handlebar angle is personal preference. Changes in this angle will alter how your hands/wrists sit on the bars but will also effect how far you reach when sitting on the bike. Seat can usually slide forward and backwards also, which again alters reach and centre of gravity on the bike.

Seat height - well many ways to skin this cat but personally I go for the deault position of having a straight leg when the heel is placed on the pedal at its lowest position. You can then tweak from there to achieve a comfortable and efficient position. You need to be looking for a comfortable extension of the leg whilst pedalling but so much extension that it causes your hips to rock in order to reach as you pedal.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.