HI, need some advice,

Martinvic
Martinvic Posts: 4
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Been lurking a little while so thought I should pop in and say hello.

Great forum, so much so that, even though I'd been looking for info for my son, I'm now seriously thinking of getting a bike myself. (Don't think I've been on a bike for about 30 years :roll: )

Anyway, just wanted a little advice for my son as I know nothing. :oops:
He is buying a secondhand Carrera Banshee SE (2003/4 I believe) in great condition for £150
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/ma ... anshee.jpg
Is that a reasonable price?

One thing he already wants to do (before even getting it :roll: ) is change the front forks for longer travel ones.
Not sure what is on there now but ,from the few other pics I've seen, they don't look like what originally came with this bike.
He has been offered some brand new in box Shockworks DH1 6" forks for £50
Will these be suitable to fit the bike?
Are they worth that price? (budget is very tight at the mo)
Are they easy to install? (I'll probably have to do it)

The bike will be used for mainly messing around on, free riding and commuting.
I think he wants the longer front forks more for aesthetic reasons myself.:wink:

Any help/advice gratefully received.

I'm sure I'll be back with a lot more questions, especially when I've saved up to buy myself a MB.

Cheers
Martin

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Hi,

The older model carrera's were rather pants in comparison to the newer models, I suggest trying to find a secondhand GT or Trek as a bike like that would fall down on DH.

Personally I've never heard of "Shockworks" but that may be because I stick to cross-country and touring - they're not that hard to install - you'll need a starnut for £3 and a hacksaw to cut the steerer tube to length.
  • Thanks for the reply missmarple.

Is the bike pants compared to £150 new (catalogue) full suss bikes or £300+ new bikes? :?

Like I said I don't think he wants it for DH,but wants a DH looking bike.
    Hard to find for his total budget of £200 I've found so far. :?

I think the Shockworks DH1's are pretty old forks now, can't find much about them.

Cheers
    Martin
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Have a look at the sticky topics here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20005

Full sussers in catalogues are very cheaply built & very heavy & are not good value for money, they will cost more in the long run (over a year or so) than the bike cost in the first place. The brakes are usually very poor, as are the gears and suspension.

I worked in a shop that sold a lot of cheap bikes (under £200), they were always more problematic than the odd £300+ bike we sold.

In the long run you will be better off spending £300 on a new hardtail bike (front sus only) as a 2nd hand bike could be more trouble than it's worth if you're not too sure on what you're buying.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg