North Yorks Moors

Giggsmaster
Giggsmaster Posts: 632
edited April 2009 in MTB rides
Went up to the Moors today with Altern8, we did a route around Arden Great Moor area. It was a good ride out, loved the Cleveland Way part up over the top across Black Hambleton and down a nice lil rough descent to a carpark at the bottom. We then took a bit of singletrack across the moorland to Hall Lane.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the area and could point us in the direction of some more of the same stuff I have just described? I think the weather may have helped out today though, what with it being shorts and t shirt time..... :D

Comments

• Yeah, do that area loads and love it too. Have you got the OS maps for the area, they show all of the shooting tracks which are a great way of getting round on the moors there.

I'll post some of my routes when I gat a minute (end of next week unfortunately)

btw you're not supposed to cycle on the Cleveland Way.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • Giggsmaster
    Yeah, do that area loads and love it too. Have you got the OS maps for the area, they show all of the shooting tracks which are a great way of getting round on the moors there.

I'll post some of my routes when I gat a minute (end of next week unfortunately)

btw you're not supposed to cycle on the Cleveland Way.

Yeah, I was thinking of popping into WHSmiths and getting an OS map for future riding. I've been pointed in the direction of a cycling book for the area also.

Much appreciated if you could post some routes.

Regarding Cleveland Way; I was riding off a biking route from another mag, which states to go along this and up over Black Hambleton. Also, I can't remember seeing any no entry signs for cycles.
  • The map I use most is OL26 North York Moors Western area.
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    we always see loads of bikes on the cleveland way its a good descent that you went down love the rocky section at the top 8) theres a book called 'x trails' that covers the moors fairly well and a couple of good web sites 'muddybums' & www.mtb-routes.co.uk although i dont think the map is working the moment on the latter but the descriptions of the routes are fairly good if you buy a map to transfer the route onto.
    Failing that if you want we could meet up on a few weekends and do some of our favourates which are up around fylingdales, farndale&bransdale, and danby to name a few :)
  • MattHarper
    MattHarper Posts: 489
    Danby is a good ride! apart from the huge ascent out of Danby heading east to Beacon hill. Ive done a few rides starting at Pitchinthrope (Guisborough woods) out towards Roseberry topping, or Kildale, etc.

Giggsmaster, I have my car fixed now it turned out to be the water pump! Would you and your bro want to meet up for a drink at The Kingswood next week? Might be going to Hamsterley with my mate on sunday. We are giving Dalby a rest for now since its now £7 for the toll, If not Hamsterley. I might goto Stainburn on sunday instead.
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • Giggsmaster, sorry you're right you are ok on that bit of the Cleveland way I've re-read your post - It's the stretch between Swainby and Lordstones cafe, past the gliding club, that has signs up for no bikes.
  • Giggsmaster
    birchy wrote:
    we always see loads of bikes on the cleveland way its a good descent that you went down love the rocky section at the top
    Failing that if you want we could meet up on a few weekends and do some of our favourates which are up around fylingdales, farndale&bransdale, and danby to name a few :)

Yeah, me and my bro loved that descent. Big beaming smiles when we got to the bottom, it was worth while just to see the looks on the faces of the walkers who we flew by at 30mph +....

Might be a good thing to meet up, since it seems you have a better idea of the area than me.
    MattHarper wrote:
    Giggsmaster, I have my car fixed now it turned out to be the water pump! Would you and your bro want to meet up for a drink at The Kingswood next week? Might be going to Hamsterley with my mate on sunday. We are giving Dalby a rest for now since its now £7 for the toll, If not Hamsterley. I might goto Stainburn on sunday instead.

I think me and our kid will be around next week to meet up. I will be with him tomorrow at the football, so I will have a word with him, or he could be on here later on.

Think our new favourite area is the Yorks Moors now after having that good ride earlier this week, didn't realise that its only under 2hrs drive away. Looks like Birchy could be interested in meeting up for a ride, so with you're and his knowledge, we should have some half decent rides.... :wink:
    Giggsmaster, sorry you're right you are ok on that bit of the Cleveland way I've re-read your post - It's the stretch between Swainby and Lordstones cafe, past the gliding club, that has signs up for no bikes.

No worries mate, you did get me a little confused if we did go on the right route :? ......
  • birchy
    just let me know when your next planning on going up and i'll let my mate know (he's got transport) and we can meet somewhere like pickering then drive up to the start of which ever loop we like doing or try linking some up as i'm sure altern8 will know some bits i dont know and vice versa :)
  • Giggsmaster
    birchy wrote:
    just let me know when your next planning on going up and i'll let my mate know (he's got transport) and we can meet somewhere like pickering then drive up to the start of which ever loop we like doing or try linking some up as i'm sure altern8 will know some bits i dont know and vice versa :)

Sounds like a good plan, I should think it would be in the next few weeks at the latest.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    MattHarper wrote>>>>>>>>>Giggsmaster, I have my car fixed now it turned out to be the water pump! Would you and your bro want to meet up for a drink at The Kingswood next week? . We are giving Dalby a rest for now since its now £7 for the toll?

well i wont be able to make it monday as got to get my living room to sort out as im hoping to be fin decorating sunday and got to get everything back into it on monday......and think we are in haworth on bev road to watch hull city in fa cup on tueday so our eyes will be glued to the screen :lol: so if you can make it any day after that mate im sure it will be ok with my bro?????

well since we found new rides on moors mate,and getting some great downhills thrown in as well,plus due to dalby getting unrideable at mo,looks liks we will be sticking to moors and hopefully trying out that ride bro has got sorted out one weekend round mam tor/derwent/ladybower :D

so hope to see you back end of next week mate in kingswood..........
  • jamieh5463
    jamieh5463 Posts: 223
    Stick the paths and stay off the moors!
  • birchy

???????????????????????????????????????????
  • Giggsmaster
    jamieh5463 wrote:

No American Werewolves spotted yet........... :lol:
  • jamieh5463
    jamieh5463 Posts: 223
    good to hear they're pretty nasty those things... :shock: