Focus Cayo to Cervelo RS?

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I have a bit of cash saved and have been eyeing up a new frame. Was looking at a Colnago but then I started thinking about the Cervelo RS as it is about £800 less which I could put towards other stuff. Would the Cervelo be a pretty decen and noticble upgrade? I mainly do longer distance rides and am entering a fre spotives this year. I get on OK with the Cayo but something tells me I want a new frame!

I have read about the problems with the older frames and also a lot of positive reviews but do you think it will be a noticble upgrade or should I wait until I 'need' a new frame.

Thanks.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Wait until you 'need' a new frame? :shock:

Do people do that? :lol::wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cyclingpunk
    Thats my thinking!

Forgot to add... before anyone says buy some new wheels I already have! I have pretty much modified the Cayo as much as i want to but IF I get a new frame all the components will get moved over and the Cayo frame will be flea bayd.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if you can afford it - go for it - support the economy and get spending.

the RS would be an awesome frame if you fancy some sportive action - very nice and comfy by all accounts - the cayo is a nice frame, but very racy in it's geometry and fit.
  • cyclingpunk
    Yea it is pretty racy. I have the stem flipped MTB style! In fairness though I do not find the Cayo to bad for comfort although at the moment I am only doing upto 50miles so maybe I would notice comfort a bit more on longer rides. I think the 25's help a bit too..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You should go for it - you'll love it! Great choice for an upgrade imo
  • cyclingpunk
    Anyone know how much a 08 Cayo frame and fork would fetch?!
  • cyclingpunk
    Oh.. And what is the sizing like? My Cayo is a 54 and is bang on. Looking at the specs it looks like a 54 would suit.
  • giant_man
    Well it's gonna be different of course. But I can guarantee you it will fit you better if you get the correct size. For a frame like this, get yourself measured properly to avoid getting the wrong size. The RS has a longer head tube than most, so it will be more comfortable.

Be sure to get some piccies up once you get it now won't you? Where you thinking of getting it from btw?
  • cyclingpunk
    Yea, will post some piccies if I take the plunge. My Mrs is slowly coming round to the idea but I think she has seriously had anough of my bikes so am not pushing it too much!

If I get one and a 54 will be a good size I will get it from Wiggle. Its a little more from some places but I will get a 5 year wiggle G'tee and Wiggle have always been really good to me when I have returned stuff and when I got my Cayo they gave me a good amount of money back as the shifters and stem got scratched in transit.
  • giant_man
    yes well Wiggle are good I know but just bear in mind it isn't the cheapest I have seen it and the guarantee is with Wiggle and not Cervelo. Just something to bear in mind, in case the frame crack (not that it would you understand) or anything similar.
  • cyclingpunk
    Thanks giant mancp. Cheapest I have seen is just under £1200... is there anywhere decent below this?
  • ronthechef
    ronthechef Posts: 943
    do a refer a friend via your wife, get her to buy and you get 10% into your wiggle account, that is what i done :lol:
  • cyclingpunk
    Thats a good plan! lol. How do you find the RS and what size did you go for?
  • ronthechef
    i'm 6ft 32" inside leg,,, I bought a 56cm,,,,,,,,,,I would go for a fitting before splashing out on a new frame, just finished building it up now
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    Ok I've been following this thread and as the owner of a carbon Planet X which I've owned for a year now and love, I have to ask... How much of a difference will cyclingpunk notice by spending £1200 on a frame. Don't get me wrong I've gazed lovingly at cervelo, colnago etc frames even in the short time I've had my bike, but surely there must come a point of diminishing returns? I accept the RS is more sportive friendly as it has the longer head tube hence a slighty more upright position, but what else will he notice about it. Other than it's great looks of course!! I'm not knocking spending that on a frame as I will prob do the same in the future so it's more for my piece of mind :D
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • ronthechef
    Well let me start by saying in the last 6 months I have lost 14kgs and spent over 3 grand on bikes/bits,,,,,,,,I can say hand on heart nothing I have bought has made me quicker!!!!

But i do have one of the best looking bikes :D

I would say the best thing you can spend money on is a cyclefit or retul fit

IMG_3626.jpg
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    ronthechef wrote:
    i'm 6ft 32" inside leg,,, I bought a 56cm,,,,,,,,,,I would go for a fitting before splashing out on a new frame, just finished building it up now

Is that 32" measured from crutch to ground or trouser size? My IL is 34" measured from crutch to ground and my saddle isn't as high as yours.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    simmo3801 wrote:
    Ok I've been following this thread and as the owner of a carbon Planet X which I've owned for a year now and love, I have to ask... How much of a difference will cyclingpunk notice by spending £1200 on a frame. Don't get me wrong I've gazed lovingly at cervelo, colnago etc frames even in the short time I've had my bike, but surely there must come a point of diminishing returns? I accept the RS is more sportive friendly as it has the longer head tube hence a slighty more upright position, but what else will he notice about it. Other than it's great looks of course!! I'm not knocking spending that on a frame as I will prob do the same in the future so it's more for my piece of mind :D

I changed from Wilier Izoard to an RS after I took a demo RS for a weekend the difference is considerable. The RS has all the components off the Wilier and so is roughly the same weight (16.5 lbs) but feels like riding a much lighter bike. It's more nimble, more stable descending, more responsive and more comfortable. The Wilier looks to be better made though but only has a 2 year warranty compared to the Cervelo's lifetime. On close inspection the Cervelo looks a bit ropey but that maybe because it isn't covered in carbon weave.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • giant_man
    ronthechef wrote:
    Well let me start by saying in the last 6 months I have lost 14kgs and spent over 3 grand on bikes/bits,,,,,,,,I can say hand on heart nothing I have bought has made me quicker!!!!

But i do have one of the best looking bikes :D

I would say the best thing you can spend money on is a cyclefit or retul fit

IMG_3626.jpg

that's just lovely ronthechef, really lovely ... tell me are they the Carbon SLs or SLRs? And what do you think of them? recommend them?
  • ronthechef
    yes cosmic carbone SL's very stiff, they really hold there speed, but the do feel a bit harsh on cr@ppy Surrey lanes, Going to take the bike to South of France next week, give the whole set up a real test,,,,, Dura ace 7900 !!!!!! the jury is still out
  • giant_man
    simmo3801 wrote:

Well simmo3801, imo the RS is a nice frame. The quality of the carbon and the geometry will make it a nice ride as I'm sure ronthechef will testify. The head tube is indeed longer than most other frames and the seatstays are shaped to absorb more. I haven't heard of any RS frames with problems either, plus the price is getting better now the 09 model (with the silver graphics) is available. Your planet X carbon is great value and imo the best bike for a grand around at the moment but there will be a noticeable difference between the two.
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    I have just bought the red Look 566 frame which has a very similar geometry to the RS. I would have had an RS but I do admit that all black is not for me. Look is very well made and finished.