Front Derailleur, Whats it for??

2»

Comments

• 996JAT
    996JAT Posts: 94
    Thanks, some guys need to get a life on here.

This is my first ever bike and its a road bike, so maintenece etc is all new to me and the chain issue i had first time put me off.

I survived fine on the small cog, but obviously i'm learning and this week i learnt a lot about gearing now.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    its a very nice bike to start with - I htink that may be why people were a bit taken a-back by your question. I hope you don't think I was taking the p.ss - there's a lot of light hearted knock about on here. Occassionally there is a bit of nasty name calling or snobbery about kit but I don't think that's the case here. (Redddragon's post was pretty funny). Do keep asking questions, I put the odd dumb (to the cognicenti) question on here from time to time
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    996JAT wrote:
    I've hit 30mph, Average was around 16.

That's dam good if you were only using the small cog at the front your legs must have been going like a washing machine :o

You shouldn't let the gears slipping dissuade (?) you from changing gear, you may not have them indexed properly, i'm giving up now apart from to say practice changing gears :D

Not such a high speed if he was heading downhill, I mean I've hit 53mph before so 30mph isn't especially impressive
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    eh - he is here, in THE BEGINNERS SECTION of the forum, BECAUSE HE NEEDS HELP

in your own words FFS!!!!

Its not like gears don't exist in any other system and it is hardly a hard concept to grasp, I think I managed it before I was 10 years old. Even if you don't know what they do a quick experiment isn't hard is it? :roll:
  • Giant Phil
    Giant Phil Posts: 116
    Its not like gears don't exist in any other system and it is hardly a hard concept to grasp, I think I managed it before I was 10 years old. Even if you don't know what they do a quick experiment isn't hard is it? :roll:

I can be an idiot at the best of times, but I do admit that you have a point. The concepts behind gear ratios is a rather easy concept. 1000 miles on the small cog??! madness :)

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Giant Phil wrote:

I can be an idiot at the best of times, but I do admit that you have a point. The concepts behind gear ratios is a rather easy concept. 1000 miles on the small cog??! madness :)

Phil

I'm sort of with you guys. I could understand not knowing how it works or how to use it,
    but he asked what it was FOR, yet he knew what it was called. I sense someone having a bit of fun.

Dennis Noward
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    If you use the search facility you can find the guy's other posts. I think he is legit.

966JAT - bet you're glad you didn't get a triple.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Carl_P wrote:
    If you use the search facility you can find the guy's other posts. I think he is legit.

OR, he's got you fooled too. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, who can say for sure?

Dennis Noward
  • 996JAT
    996JAT Posts: 94
    Dennis i aint gonna lie. Its just somethin i tried once as a beginner and now i got miles on the road. I been lookin to get a specialized tarmac expert to go faster but i think i ll get some more speed first on the big ring.
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I think you need a single speeder or maybe one of them hub gear racer's thats on the front page of BR today.
  • laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 248
    On the one hand, gears are simple enough to understand, on the other, in some respects bicycle derailleur systems are pretty arcane. You have pedal cadence, duplicated gear ratios, gears that you shouldn't use because of chain line, etc. It's not necessarily as straightforward as it might seem.

The funny thing is that in using only the smaller front sprocket, the original poster hasn't really missed much. On a lot of set ups you will only really miss the top two or three gears, as most of the other gear range will be 'covered' on the smaller sproket. So, the main effect will be that the intervals between available gears will be bigger. Which is great for training... :)

Anyway, I'd advise getting familiar with your gears and your gear ratios. Try Sheldon Brown's site for more info. His online gear calculator will help you understand some of the stuff in my first two paragraphs.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    edited March 2009
    996JAT wrote:
    Dennis i aint gonna lie. Its just somethin i tried once as a beginner and now i got miles on the road. I been lookin to get a specialized tarmac expert to go faster but i think i ll get some more speed first on the big ring.

Well done, been funny - now off on the big ring
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Not such a high speed if he was heading downhill, I mean I've hit 53mph before so 30mph isn't especially impressive

What only using the small ring at the front? I don't believe you :P