Introduction / Some Advice Please

alesis
alesis Posts: 4
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello All,

I'm pretty new to MTBiking and i've just purchased a GT Agressor XC3 '08. Its a pretty standard bike but for the money I had it's sufficient and value for money.

I'm looking for some advice on how I can make my bike lighter / better. Where could I start? I've read a few threads on other sites but alot we talking about changing the suspension system or frame. I'm not willing to do that right now (£££ is tight!!) but maybe at some point in the future. I know it may sound ludicrous but I don't want to look like a complete novice on my bike straight out of Halfords, so its time to mod mod mod.

If I were to change the pedals and tyres / rims would this help? Im also looking to change the pedals for other reasons, mainly because I don't like the crappy standard pedals that the bike came with. Basically i'm looking to develop and modify this bike bit by bit but i don't know where to start.

I've also just registered to do the London to Brighton bike ride this year and I want as little weight as possible. Someone suggested I should change my MB typres for some road tyres and it seems like a logicial idea but will it actually make a difference? and why? Oh and I was also hoping someone could recommend me some good quality road tyres for this 50 mile treak.

Sorry about the 21 questions! Thanks in advance guys,

Loving the site BTW :wink:

Nice one

Dave Ale

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    To be honest, it might be easier to get a new bike by the time you have upgraded this one.

Though you can make a couple of easy changed like the tyres for instance, and the padals to say Wellgo MG1.

Changing the rims would mean a new set of wheels really - looking at about 130 quid minimum before you start seeing the weight drop, and 150 for the fork (though it will be a better performer too).

Road tyres would be much better for that ride - have a look at Continental Sport Contact.

Saddle, bars and seatpost can hide large amounts iof weight, as can the rear cassette.
  • alesis
    supersonic wrote:

Though you can make a couple of easy changed like the tyres for instance, and the padals to say Wellgo MG1.

Cool, but if I change the pedals should I change the crank arms too?
    supersonic wrote:
    Road tyres would be much better for that ride - have a look at Continental Sport Contact.

So can I just change the tyres right? Without having to change the rims? Ie, the tyres will fit the rims? (now that really is a nood questions, sorry :oops:
    supersonic wrote:
    Saddle, bars and seatpost can hide large amounts iof weight, as can the rear cassette.

I'll look into these.

Nice one
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I wouldn't bother changing much except the tyres unless you've got an unlimited budget. More important you get some miles in (oh and some padded shorts!).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You could change the cranks as well - but costly! Depends what pedals you have. If alloy platforms, then a 30 quid set of Wellgo MG1 would save nearly half a pound. To do the same with the cranks, 100 quid probably.

You have to 'weigh' up very carefully what you want to do, the cost, and when the money comes into to maxiise the advantages.

Your rims are 26 inch MTB, and you can get road tyres for them (no need to change the rims!). Such as:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18824

The 1.5 is narrowest, and lightest. of those.
  • alesis
    Nice one Robmatic1 & Supersonic.

I think i'm gonna go ahead and get some of those road tyres and maybe some of the MG1 pedals. Oh and the padded shorts of course :wink:

Thanks for your help