Trails in Glasgow

White Line
White Line Posts: 887
edited May 2012 in Routes
I've noticed more riders from Glasgow (and Scotland) on this site than any other I have visited; hence I decided to join. :)

Basically, I'm having trouble finding trails in Glasgow. :oops: I'm just going to say there aren't many due to the weather. :P

Other than in Pollock Park, are there any decent trails around the South Side? I know there are going to be some at Cathkin Braes soon, which is rather close to my house. 8) Although, it wont open till August this year! Well, I hear there are really crappy trails there - not even worth a visit. :( Plus, I'm not too keen on the idea of the neds and all the broken Buckfast bottles being everywhere. :lol:

I will be eternally grateful for any tips and awesome trails. :wink:

Comments

• boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    From my limited knowledge, the closet dedicated trails are probably Carron Valley in the Campsies. If you drive, these are not a problem to get to, but if you are cycling out, these can be accessed by a train to Croy, a ride downll to Kilsyth, and a great climb (all on-road) of Tak Ma Doon Road. The climb of Tak Ma Doon can be a slog depending on the mountain bike you are using i.e. hardtail, full-sus (as it takes around 17-18mins on a road bike).

Once over that, it's all downhill to the trails. there is only really one trail to use and it's around 10-12km in length. It's pretty easy and doesn't involve too much effort, but there is an enjoyable last section full of jumps and berms (Glentress Spooky Wood-esque if that's your sort of thing). Carron Valley is good for a few blasts around the course if you have some time to kill, but it isn't really the place you would go for a whole day.

For local trails, there are a variety in and around Mugdock Country Park (near Milngavie) - you may want to take a brief whirl around and scout these out as i think it is trial and error to an extent. You may also find some bikers in there when you visit and you can try following them to find decent sections.

However, i note you are close to Cathkin Braes - if you look on Youtube and search Linn Park, there are videos of folk doing tricks on man-made trails. I haven't ventured up yet, and don't know where in the park they are or how long the sections are, but it might be worth a scout around there also.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Mugdock's a lot closer than Carron Valley. There are loads of trails in Mugdock but expect to encounter lots of walkers/ dogs. Carron Valley is a dedicated trail centre, albeit a small one and not that challenging but there (should be!) no walkers on the trails.

Linn Park doesn't have anything of any note and again expect to encounter non-cyclists on the trail.

Cathkin Braes has quite a bit to offer. The guys from Craig McMartin Cycles on Pollokshaws Rd ride there quite regularly. www.glasgowcycles.co.uk

There was a consultation in the last few weeks regarding cycling facilities at Whitelees Wind Farm http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/whit ... _draft.pdf

I've been up since the windfarm was constructed and although there's no singletrack, there is a massive network of fireroads to explore.

Overall there's not a a great deal in the southside but there are loads of trails within less than an hours drive.
  • White Line
    Hmm ... Carron Valley sound a tad far away, but you never know. :) I don't drive, so I'd just get the train. Anyway, I wouldn't want to miss out on that climb would I?! :lol: Plus, that downhill would give me some time to catch my breath. :)

I YouTubed Lynn Park. 2:17 in this video makes me think that part of the trail is near the field at 55°48'14.42"N 4°15'49.17"W (yes, I went there a few times in my childhood). Coincidently, it's near the equestrian centre. :) They seem good; although all the falls are a bit off putting. :?

I'll be sure to go a wee visit there, and even if I can't find it I haven't wasted much time. Would only take like ten or fifteen minutes to get there and back. :)

*Edited due to BoardinBob's post.

Well, whenever it decides to be dry again I'll go have a peek up Cathkin Braes. Could you shed any light on where I should look?

I just looked at Whitelees Wind Farm on Google Maps. I must agree; there does seem to be quite a few fire roads. :P I might take a trip there too then. :) Uni finishes for Easter soon, so I'll have more time to ride (and more time to work to get more money to shower my bike with :P).

I think I might have to bite the bullet and learn how to drive, if I want to get to all these trails in a decent shape. :(
  • BoardinBob
    I've yet to see any maps showing the trails on Cathkin Braes and it's not the kind of place you want to take a wrong turn in with the proximity to "Chateau Lait" (Castlemilk for the non French speakers :lol: )

I'm in Shawlands so I'm assuming I'm close to you. I'll probably be heading up to Carron Valley at the weekend so if you'd like a lift I've got plenty of room in the car and I'd be more than happy to take you round the trails. (as long as you dont mind waiting for me puffing and wheezing my way uphill)

There's also the Bikebus service in Glasgow that runs regular trips to a variety of trails

http://www.bikebus.net/
  • White Line
    Pfft, Castlemilk is awesome. :P Unfortunately, I need to live here for a few more months before I move out and get a flat in the West End. :) I've not heard many people calling Castlemilk that! :o Makes it sound nice. :roll:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm stuck in work this weekend - like most. :( Haha! I doubt I'd be much ahead anyway. :oops: I'm not as fit as I was when I was younger. :(
  • White Line
    Ah, great. Thanks. :) The red trail looks like it should be good - the hill is rather steep there I'm sure. Can't wait until they're built so I can go see. Then my ride home is all downhill! :D

Although, I reckon before long it will be full of Buckfast and MD 20/20 bottles ... and dirt bikes. :roll:
  • BoardinBob
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Here are the routes at Cathkin Braes.

www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/05CF135 ... rcuits.pdf

Those are the planned trails rather than existing ones, although parts of those that are marked are already there but I understand there's quite a bit of work to be done to get them ready.
  • White Line
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Those are the planned trails rather than existing ones, although parts of those that are marked are already there but I understand there's quite a bit of work to be done to get them ready.

Yeah, it's the ones for the Commonwealth Games thing, right? I think they open up in August. :?
  • allyharp
    allyharp Posts: 57
    Mugdock is easily reached from Milngavie train station so you can get there without being tired out like Carron Valley.

If you're ever headed in that direction drop me a PM and I could show you all the good bits!
  • Boabie38
    Boabie38 Posts: 27
    Didnt know that Pollok Park had created a black run sounds good.

Regarding Whitelees Wind Farm trails I contacted the Forestry Commison regarding the potential trails and was told that due to new government legislation their will be no dedicated MTB trails, all trails will be multipurpose.... so watch out for the dogs.

Where is the best place to start the trails in Mugdock park do you go out towards Strathblane or are they all within the park
  • allyharp
    allyharp Posts: 57
    A lot of the best trails are outside Mugdock itself, but it's best to just go for a ride and explore every bit of singletrack you see.

I quite like Dumbrock Muir, just across the road from the park. If you look around the woods near Boards Farm there's a few spots
  • Boabie38
    Boabie38 Posts: 27
    Cheers Ally,

I have been up and round Mugdock village and Strathblane before all on the roads those hills are very deceiving especially the climb from Milingavie up to Mugdock.... always has a bonus on the way back down.
    I went into the Nature Reserve on the Strathblane Road around the quarry etc, That was good, the only problem was losing my back wheel in a bog..... still dont have a clue how it came off.

I will get my map out and have a look for that Farm that you mentioned.

Happy riding!
  • neekone
    neekone Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm just refreshing this thread!! as I'm now back on a MTB and looking for places to ride!

So does any one have an update on any decent free ride or downhill trails to ride in Glasgow not at a pro level? and not miles away, bare in mind I'm mainly a gravity based rider?

I noticed there is a ton of potential at Linn park to make some alright trails, berms, jumps etc. prob just take a group of riders to hack away at it and make it work! but I dunno how busy it gets with forestry workers? and if any trail building work would go in vain? Also where the work vehicles have been already and now its drying up they've kinda made the beginnings of some tracks, there's so many logs and dirt laying about it wouldn't take long to make something fun to ride even if its just simple it would be something?

On another note don't even bother going to Pollock park it was rubbish! its mainly flat with a few crappy turns, jumps and awful obstacles, its for beginners. Also there is dog crap everywhere...
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    You could try getting on the Train. There are soem trails at Callander Estate near Falkirk which are designed to be easily accessable by bike from the station - Haven't ridden them myself but I have ridden off road with the Estate Manager responsible for starting them!

Maybe stay on the train to Stirling and try soem trails in the Ochils or the Touch hills there are a few guys who ride out with Stirling Bike Club that come from Glasgow, though not by train. the MTB's meet at Costa Coffee on Sat a.m. http://www.stirlingbike.org.uk
  • neekone
    neekone Posts: 3
    Cool thanks for your help I will check it out!