XC Race, what category should I enter?

It\'s not a steed
It\'s not a steed Posts: 15
edited March 2009 in XC and Enduro
I've just found out that there is a race very local to me happening over the weekend (The Black Park XC) and thought it might be interesting to have a go, only not having raced before and not being sure what to expect in terms of ability/pace I don't really know which category to enter.

I've ridden for a few years although not raced and am currently carrying a few kilos too many to be properly competitive regardless of the category so i don't expect to be at the front but equally I don't really want to be out of my depth, languishing at the back the whole time either.

It appears that I could fit into any of the following categories: Beginners (8.5 miles), Fun (14miles), Open (22 miles), or veterans (19 miles). By age I would fit in the veterans category but I suspect this might be full of serious racers moving up a category rather than old fellas just having a go?

I'm leaning towards the fun category although I will be treating it as seriously as my legs and lungs will alllow. Does it sound like I'm pitching in at the right level or not, I really have no concept of the standard expected at this sort of thing?

Thanks for reading and any helpful advice much appreciated.

Comments

• flatback
    flatback Posts: 6
    i would try the fun there will still be a few glory hunters in the catogory who should race higher, but for a first race enter fun
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    I agree. I entered veterans for my first race and it was as you suspected. Beginner/ Fun for the first depending how far you want to go
  • I think I might feel a bit of a fraud entering as a beginner as although I've not raced before I've been riding off road for years. The 14mile distance of the fun category plus the commute to the venue and home again is typically what I would be riding on a Sunday anyhow albeit not at a race pace.

So fun category it is, I'll post up whether this was the right decision or not on Monday. Now all I've got to do is service the brakes and gears and I'm good to go.

Cheers for the help.
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    don,t underestimate x-country it is quick ,you might be better trying an enduro first like the merida marathons ,x-country go off like a bullet whatever cat your in.at your age your body will be more suited to the longer distances as mine is .whatever you do dont enter masters or vets as its mostlty ex elite racers and you,ll just demoralise yourself .then again you might be uber fit in which case come and jump in the pond all are welcome.
  • The idea of an endurance event makes a lot more sense from an age/ability standpoint, but this is really more about convenience. I can ride to and from this event so I thought why not? If it's a positive experience then I might try something else later in the year.

So a fast start is standard practise? i was kind of hoping that in the 'fun' category people would get caught up in the moment, go off like a train and then have to ease off after a k or so.
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    I've done 3 XC races as well as a number of longer events - Trailrides, etc.

The first 2 were in Vets and I felt out of my depth. The pace is a lot quicker than I expected and the courses were much more twisty and technical - they do test skills as well as raw speed/ endurance. The last race was in Fun. I set off at a reasonable pace and actually rode 2 almost identically timed laps. That meant I was picking people off all the way round really. The last was much, much more fun.

Sounds like you have the right plan in entering Fun. For your first event, I'd let the loonies fly off the start. If you're better than them you'll catch 95% of them before the end. If you're not you may as well have them in front of you from the off!

If you have ambitions for the podium a fast start is important to make sure you stay in contact with the front of the race and do not get stuck behind in bottlenecks. However, for most of the field I suspect it is a bad thing that produces too much oxygen debt early in the race.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I did the Hit The North event in Philips park - Winter Sprinter and it was good fun but tough

I set off too fast and ended up dawldling on the last lap and dropped places -definitely keep some in reserve at first, and take some energy foods to eat during the race if you can, I had a flapjack and I think it helped
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I like the sound of being able to pick people off as you go around, always nice to have something to aim for rather than being the target.

I have a pretty good idea of the sort of pace that I can maintain for an hour(ish) so I'm intending to try and do that for the first two laps and see where that gets me. I can always venture into the red for the last lap if I feel the need for a big finish.

As for podium ambitions; initially I had no ambition other than to give it a go treating it as a fun new experience, but the more I think about it the more I want to do well, at least on a personal level. If I finish wasted but in the middle of the field having overtaken a few on the way I guess I'll be happy enough.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I put some 'information' together about categories based on my experience over the last 18 months of racing, maybe you'll find it useful, maybe not...

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/raceCategories.asp
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk