Showerproof jacket that rolls up to size of an apple....

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Anyone got / recommend / advise against one of these:-

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails ... =104&rid=7

It rolls up reeeeeal small for long rides (see 'stuff sac' link)

It also has 'anti snag baffle' whatever the hell that is - I'm sure it's a plus point.

?

Cheers

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I've just bought one based on recommendations on this forum, I've yet to use it though (still using my heavier winter jacket).

Haven't heard of the anti snag baffle, but I guess it's something to stop the zip snagging on the way up/down.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I bought one of those last year after reading recommendations.

It does exactly what it should do.
    It is definitely not waterproof - more showerproof - but it does keep you reasonably dry. Becuase it does roll up so small, it is very easy to just put it in to a jersey or jacket pocket if you think it is going to rain during a ride. Or if you prefer, it can be strapped round the seatpost - however, I found that it caught all the cr@p coming of the wet roads in that position, and if I forgot to dry it off after a ride then next time I used it it was all smelly and stained :oops: :oops:

I would buy another one :D

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've got the windproof version and it's ace. Leave at the bottom of your bag and it goes unnoticed - until you need the little fella.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Bought one last year for keeping in my commuting bag and for tucking in my back pocket pocket on Sportives. Now its getting a little warmer my Goretex is reserved for the days its tipping down when I leave the house and the Montane is back in the bag.

Okay they may not be 100% waterproof but from my experience you need some pretty heavy rain before you get seriously wet. And I was very pleased it was tucked in my back pocket when I got to the top of a very cold Tourmalet in the Etape

Light, compact, good value, work - enough said!
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    I have one and I really like it. However, it can be a bit of a parachute when you're on a very fast ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yer anti-snag baffle is the flap behind the zip designed to keep the wind out. I have a fleece with the exact opposite; a flap that gets snagged in the zip 3 or 4 times before I can get the bloody thing off, so yes, it's a must-have feature.

I got the Altura Cropton jacket free with my C+ subscription, and it appears to be very similar to this one. It lives in the seat pack with the tools and spare tube; very handy.

Never got the skullcap that was meant to accompany it though!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I've got the Montane jacket and it has been my standby of choice in the Summer and on sportives. My advice would be to go for a size smaller than normal. As someone says above it tends to flap a bit. I bought a medium and next time I would buy a small. Great piece of kit though!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Indeed fantastic bit of kit, I have got one and it is a must in every single ride I take! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Very good jacket, comes with me on every ride in case of rain, not 100% waterproof but after a year of heavy use still enough to keep you dry in anything but very heavy rain!

exercise.png