GT Avalanche 3.0 disk 08 model

matt2085
matt2085 Posts: 25
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey guys,
How would you guys rate this bike? anyone have any first hand experience with this model? if not how does the spec look?

first off I'm a total newb to MTB but I know this isn't going to be the best bike in the world! I don't have ££££££ to spend on an amazing bike.

I'm mainly just looking for something to do XC and maybe smash around some trails without falling apart.

Thanks, Matt

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ok, if a little heavy. How much have you seen it for? Can you try it first?
  • matt2085
    wow fast reply lol!

£280 new from www.paulscycles.co.uk in the offers

can't try first as they're based in Norwich and can't find anywhere else that stocks these as new :(

Thanks, Matt
  • supersonic
    Do you have a local Halfords? Check out the Carrear Kraken and the GT Aggressors in there, both superior bikes really! But the Avalanche is OK, the fork just not as good as on the other two.
  • matt2085
    yeah I have a halfords local, but my budget is £300 max, and those are a little (or £100) too much :( I have other stuff to buy too like a helmet and backpack - so don;t want to spend more.

and I actually like the look of the avalanche 3.0 has a nice look about it, just wanting to make sure it's upto the job before laying out £280

Thanks, Matt
  • supersonic
    Vulcans are 300, and after just checking it does seem the Aggressors have gone up.

If you like the Avalanche, how about a 2.0 for the same money?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29070

Doesn't get disc brakes, but better forks and some lighter parts.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If you like the Avalanche, how about a 2.0 for the same money?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29070
    Doesn't get disc brakes, but better forks and some lighter parts.
    And it's disc ready. So later you can put good hydro brakes than those
    mechanical on the 3.0.
  • I too bought this bike as my first MB (womans version). I only owned it for two months then traded it in for a Trek EX 5.5 full sus.

I didn't like it to be honest. It rode like a cheap bike. If I were you Id wait until you had the extra pennies to buy a more expenive bike. I was lucky I got a really good trade in price against my new bike and some new Fox Forks but you may find yourself wasting your money and wanting a new bike once you've found your feet.

Merlin Cycles do some really good bargins and no doubt other sites will too especially for 08 models.
  • matt2085
    thanks for the replies :)

though I'm guessing you all really don't rate the 3.0 much at all?

I was looking at the Carrera Vulcan a lot before I saw the GT Avalanche but seems they both get similar reviews so figured there wasn't much difference.. and the GT looks much better. Would a 2.0 GT be better then the 3.0 even without disk brakes? (I'm a total newb this would be my first proper bike that cost more then £20 from a second hand shop lol)

Thanks, Matt
  • Ellio
    Ellio Posts: 100
    have a bit more of a search first google search bought it up £20 cheaper

http://s233299868.e-shop.info/shop/arti ... -2008.html

I was in the same situation as you this time last year and bought a Giant Yukon and I am now buying a more expesive bike thats lighter and better speced. The Giant is simalr to the GT spec wise and tbh that did me fine for what I wanted it for and now that I am into riding more I have decided to buy a better bike.
    Also just got the other half a Carrera Kraken Ltd edition as they are reduced in halfords at the moment but only a few left I think. It may come in a bit over budget but is well worth it.
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Posts: 17
    I have an old 06 Avalanche 1.0, and when I bought it it was rated the best HT under £500.

I know that the '08 Avalanche 3 with discs is a different bike but the one thing that all GT Avalanche bikes benefit from is the strong and well designed frame.
    This can sometimes be overlooked when comparing the spec of components on a bike - this is of course important - but as it is your first MTB the basic strength and geometry of the bike should be considered especially if you want to spend long days in the saddle and build your experience.

Whilst its no longer my "No. 1 bike" (using a Stumpjumper more nowadays) I'm still using mine - Its been to Glentress, and all over North and South downs and it handles well enough.
  • Hi Matt,
    I have the new 08 GT Avalanche 2.0 and my mate has the 3.0.
    We both agree that if he had the choice again he would go for the 2.0 and save some dosh.
    Both are great bikes and from the sound of it you would be OK with either.
    My choice was save some wonga and go for the 2.0....
  • Hi Matt,
    I have the new 08 GT Avalanche 2.0 and my mate has the 3.0.
    We both agree that if he had the choice again he would go for the 2.0 and save some dosh.
    Both are great bikes and from the sound of it you would be OK with either.
    My choice was save some wonga and go for the 2.0....
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    I have the Avalanche 3.0, i love it, had it nearly 2 years now. It is a great bike on and off road, i have just bought a full sus but will definately keep the GT for my light trails and on road cycling. ps, got my GT for £150 from Evans as it was a last years model and it has a few small scratches on it.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4