Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2009 or FSRxc Pro 2009

biker_nicks
biker_nicks Posts: 7
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys and gals.

New to the forum and after a little advice please. I have looked through the forum so hopefully i'm not asking a question that's been answered a million times before, but which bike would be better??

The Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2009 or FSRxc Pro 2009?

I like both as you can lock the rear shock, which will be pretty handy for me. Just not quite sure on the quality of the bits on the bike as to which would be better. I know the stumpjumper has a better M5 frame as opposed to the M4 of the FSRxc Pro but is the SJ worth the extra?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    How about the 08 Stumpjumper Comp, the Specialized concept store has them for £1200, same spec as 09 or they even have the Elite for £1400.

Chris
  • mmmmm, i'll take a look cheers. Sorry who makes the elite? not quite up on model names of bikes just yet.
  • I'd go for the FSR over the FSRxc. I just like the look of them better. The Elite is the next up the range from the Comp in the Spesh Stumpy FSR.
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Just to clarify the Stumpjumper FSR range is higher up the Specialized catalogue than the FSRxc range.

There are then multiple models within in each range, for the Stumpjumper range the models in ascending order are Comp, Elite, Expert, Pro, S-Works.

The Stumpjumpers are better bikes although the FSRxcs often get the trickle down of components and frame design from the Stumpjumper FSRs of previous years.

So the 2008 has a very similar frame to the 2007 Stumpjumper.

If it was me I'd go for the Stumpjumper over the FSRxc, more for the improved and lighter components on the Stumpjumpers than for any perceived frame differences.

Hope that makes sense.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Just to clarify the Stumpjumper FSR range is higher up the Specialized catalogue than the FSRxc range.

There are then multiple models within in each range, for the Stumpjumper range the models in ascending order are Comp, Elite, Expert, Pro, S-Works.

The Stumpjumpers are better bikes although the FSRxcs often get the trickle down of components and frame design from the Stumpjumper FSRs of previous years.

So the 2008 has a very similar frame to the 2007 Stumpjumper.

If it was me I'd go for the Stumpjumper over the FSRxc, more for the improved and lighter components on the Stumpjumpers than for any perceived frame differences.

Hope that makes sense.

yeah i was kinda gathering slowly that that was how it was.

I can spend around £1500 so i think it might have to be the Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2009, thanks for the advice.

Will it weigh less than the FSRxc pro then? i have tried to find out, but even the Specialized website doesn't seem to list weight as a spec, unless I've completely missed it.

I did try a FSRxc comp in Evans' last weekend and it seemed damn good so if the SJ Comp is even better..... happy days :D
  • went for the Stumpjumper FSR comp 09 in the end, picking it up next weekend :-)
  • Cool pick mine up tomorrow :D
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Good choice, it is the better bike and will have more upgrade potential when that bug bites :roll: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • You said you have 1500 to spend well the 09' Stumpjumper FSR Comp is 2,500$ so i dont know where your getting that deal but if you are let me know man.
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    You said you have 1500 to spend well the 09' Stumpjumper FSR Comp is 2,500$ so i dont know where your getting that deal but if you are let me know man.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=17396

;)
  • Hi everyone,

I'm also just about to get hold of a stumpy fsr comp, just waiting for my company to sign up for the bike to work scheme.

I've been doing a bit of research, and it seems the best cost benefit for a XC full sus in this price range (1500ish quid).

This will be my first full sus mountain bike, and although I'm getting a bit old for radical stuff, is it ok to go for small jumps / drops, or should I take it easy as it's not a hard tail?

cheers
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Stumpy FSR and FSRxc are fine for small jumps and drops - afterall there would be little point in them having 5in of travel otherwise.

I would not advise dropping them from 6ft onto flat too often however. 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.