Far East routes

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
i guess a little far away for many on the forum...but I would highly highly recommend anyone to cycle tour Laos. I rode from Vinh in Vietnam to Vientiane in Lao on route 8 and 13. Route 8 had no cars..about 90 miles , one 15 mile col and two brutes of 9% needing something like 25x28 on MTB, both 9% over 2 miles one nearer 3 miles long. I did it last week, 700km in 8 days. Laos has only 300,000 cars is bigger than the UK slightly...people are very friendly and it is very safe. the climbs north from Vientiane to Luang Prabang are very high and hard...but there are guesthouses on route 8 and 13, every 40-60 miles...

Comments

• Hi Dave_1,
    I just returned from SE Asia last week - spent three weeks over there in all (no where near long enough), including a week in Cambodia and a week in Laos.
    Whilst there I spotted 7 cycle tourers - a couple of pairs and three soloists. Got to say I was a tad jealous - SE Asia is an incredible place to visit and I'd love to do an extended tour around there. I now have a rather romantic notion of taking a long leave of absence from work!
    The scenery on the open road can be breathtaking and everyday was a fantastic cultural and gastronomic experience - especially when everyone I met insisted on feeding me!.
    I was travelling around in a pickup (as a passenger) and that was an experience in itself. I get what you're saying about there being few cars, but what did you think of the standard of driving? I suppose after a few days I became quite accustomed to head-on overtaking manoeuvres, using horns as indicators and moto's/cars/cyclists blatantly travelling the 'wrong way' down the road....
    I'll bet you had an incredible time - is this a regular sort of thing for you? I really only have very minimal cycle-touring experience, but having seen what it's possible to experience over there, I am inspired to do more.
    SF
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Just returneed from Japan..Was my intention to take a folder but hired bikes from Stations there instead(about £5 a day)...What a place...5 star everything...just pottered about in cities more than any distance cycling..Highly recommeded on any RTW trip
    jc