First Race

Flash 72
Flash 72 Posts: 76
edited March 2009 in Amateur race
Hi all
I have got my first race on Saturday at Victoria Park as part of the CDNW youth league and I'll be racing in the under 16's. I'm just looking for some advice on how early prior to the race should I arrive, what the plan of action should be once I do get there, and also advice for whilst I'm actually racing cheers - Flash :wink:
If I only scrape a livin, at least it's living worth sraping for

Comments

• jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    hi, im also racing as a first year u16 this year. get there however long you feel comfortable with, i get nervous when i feel im late so 45 minutes to an hour does me.

as for the racing, unless you're really strong try and stay in the top six riders as usualy theres only about 12-15 riders in u16 races, and then do what you're good at. So if you've got a fast finish try and stay up there untill the end but if you're good at climbing you could try and breakaway on the biggest climb on the course. e.c.t.....

jack
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Get there quite early - I reckon an hour before - partly because the car park at viccy park gets full up and it's nice to have a base on the park as you have 2 races on the day (unless it's changed).

First thing is go over and sign on - the circuit is the perimeter of the park and the signing on is in the middle so you can have a look and get a feel for the weather and stuff like slippy corners.

Go back and get the bike ready, put number on and decide how much to wear for the race. Go and warm up - if you can't get on the circuit warm up on the roads but don't lose track of time.

The circuit is pan flat and about a kilometer or so long - basically an oval round the park - quite narrow but if the field is small in the youth race or it isn't a single bunch moving up shouldn't be a problem. Still worth staying relatively near the front - as the races are so short doing a bit of work isn't a problem you should still have a decent sprint left.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Pack your bag the night before with everything you need, saves you rushing round on race day and forgetting something.
    I like to plan to be at a race an hour before the start, gives you plenty of time to sort everything out.
    If you live quite local (if you haven't already) it would be a good idea to have a quick blast round the circuit in advance, get a feel for it, work out where the wind will be at it's strongest (e.g. is there an exposed section).
    Get a feel for the last 200m, is there a tight bend before the finish, if so make sure you are up the front coming into it.

Most importantly, at your age, enjoy yourself and don't get too stressed about it all!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    As above, I would get there at least 1 hour before, to get yourself all sorted, and you can sign on, and warm up without rushing.
  • Tom Butcher
    If you google image search victoria park crits you'll get some photos - go to the link in the british cycling site and there is a gallery that will give you a good idea of the circuit

Link below - sorry I don't know how to do those shortened links!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... N%26um%3D1

• Flash 72
    Cheers to everyone who has replied, the information has been really helpful
  • I too am racing tomorrow at Victoria Park (quite a distance to travel from Macclesfield). First year as an U16 so I'm quite nervous, not sure what to expect really :?
    The organiser has told me it is one four lap race first and then the 'main' 28 mile race later on.
    I will see you there Flash. hoping I can stay in the group for as long as possible!
    ps. Have you sorted your gears to the right ratio btw?
  • Flash 72
    hi, jimmy I have got my gears set up but i'm at a bit of an disadvantage because I have had to run a 50T chainring with the sprocket screwed down to the 17T which mens I'll be running at 6.19m so I'll be at an disadvantage of about 73cm per stroke I'm notreally to worried I'll just have to kepp my cadence up :oops: - hope to see you there tomorow what bike you on I'll look out for you :)
  • Yes i have the same gear 50-17tooth problem too but i doubt it will make too much difference
    I'm on my raleigh airlite carbon frame-planet x finishing kit pretty much and my bright orange club jersey :D
    What bike is it that ypu have??
  • Flash 72
    Boardman comp with yellow pro 3 tyres and just a plain blue lusso jersey as I'm in a CTC club it was a bit touch and go wheather I would be able to make it because Ionly joined BC last week and so my race licence has not come yet but my mum was able to sort it out that they fax a copy over and sorry for calling you Jimmy got a bit confused :?
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    let us know how you do, unless its too embaresing.... jokes, sure you'll both do well.
  • Tom Butcher
    So what happened ?

• Flash 72
    The first race was a disaster I was stood in the wrong place waitning to stsart so I had to quickly run across the park (on grass with road shoes on, not easy) before it started and ended up starting right at the back. We set off and because it was only a 5 lap race the pace was quite a fast and Icouldn't get through the pack so after the first lap I was sitting fourth from last but as the race whent on I began to pass people but once I'd got into a good rythm the race was over and ended up 28th (out of 39). So then I had to wait about an hour and a half before the second race and it was freezing so I'm goining to invest in a set of rollers for next time.inthend I just ended warming up on th street so the second race finally came and during the warm up lap I tried to get as close to front as poss but everyone was bunched so I ended up setting of in third row as it started my foot slipped whilst trying to clip in and i ended up right near the back again but for the next two laps I pushed really hard and ended up getting into a group of six and we was setting a good pace and working well together and passing people but after about 16 laps the main bunch came round and passed us and so with 10 laps to go evreyone who had been laped got pulled off which took about 2/3 of the field off so overall I fineshed 26th so I beat 13 riders which for my first I didn't think was that bad I f I can just get my starts sorted and get into the main pack I think I'll do lot better but next time I'll be alot more prepared and faster off the start. Hopefully I'm racing this weekend in the Dolan Schoolpersons If I can arrange transport . And I looked out for Ben on his raleigh airlite but I couldn't see him hopefully I'll see him next time
  • But I saw you on your rather big boardman frame with bright yellow tyres...I'd have struggled to miss you. I finished 30th overall which is alright in my opinion seeing as I am still 14. I too will invest in a set of rollers or a turbo because i think that is what could make a huge difference, especially seeing as it was pretty damn cold as you said. There are more races to improve on so as a first race I ain't too unhappy :)
  • ps. Anybody know where and when any photos will be posted?