Why oh Why?!

Sharpy_89
Sharpy_89 Posts: 15
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Can somebody please tell me why i continue to put myself through it?

I ride to work and back everyday, this is a 16 mile round trip btw. And i am practically dieing by the tym i get home at night, due to no exercise over the past three years, but i still look forward to the next day of riding to work even though my arse is killin and i can't sit down and my legs wont move and such but i still end up going out and riding.

think the mountain biking bug has bit me. Ohh well.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Keep at it, make sure you stretch all day at work and keep your fluid levels up, you'll find it much easier.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Think about taking a bus on Wednesday, give yourself time to recover and build muscle.
  • Sharpy_89
    Supersonic.

I drive my car couple of times during the week just to help my body recover partially but even then im still sore after a couple of days rest so i've just decided to grin and bare it whilst i've only just started excercising again.

Thanks for the advice supersonic and ride_whenever.

Tom
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will get fitter, and it will become less, but don't overdo it as can be pretty nasty!

Good luck.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    edited March 2009
    I ride to work though it is only a 5 minute ride, so I go for a 13-16 mile ride nearly every night after work. Have been doing this for the past 3 weeks after nearly 10 years out of the saddle, and it was all going well and was getting slowly easier.

It was only when I had 3 days in a row off due to family and my brithday dinner with the missus that made me realise the importance of rest; when I got back on the bike yesterday after the 3 days off I was vastly stronger and faster than any of the time in the past 3 weeks! I couldn't beleive the difference it made, and will try to get a few days without serious riding at least once every two weeks from now on.

Have you tried anything like this at all?
  • Sharpy_89
    Yes thats what I'm aiming for this mountain biking was only to build up my fitness for the manchester 10k run but now it has unfortunately turned out to be a painful hobby and will be a very expensive one as soon as I can afford to upgrade the trusty steed. It's in desperate need of a new front fork as the one it has is diabolical other than that though im very pleased with it for a first bike :D
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    I commute 10 m each way. When I first started I used a road bike and initially found it quite hard with legs aching after a couple of days and me dying for the w/e to arrive for a rest.

Last week, with my knackered winter commuter road bike I switched to the MTB and what a difference. I've realised that I'd got used to doing 5 x 2 x 10 m per week and all the aches had gone. How did I remember this - from the pain in my legs over the last week or so.

It's wednesday and I'm in the car - it's a rest day today!!!!!

DM
  • Sharpy_89
    I felt a real sense of achievement this morning on my ride in i found that it took me 10 mins less than it did last week. I was amazed with my progress then some old fella, pushing 70 atleast, on a singlespeed shot past and burst my bubble.

Ohh well still impressed with my achievement.

David tomorrow is my rest day lets hope it makes a difference because im so sore.

Tom
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sharpy_89 wrote:
    I felt a real sense of achievement this morning on my ride in i found that it took me 10 mins less than it did last week. I was amazed with my progress then some old fella, pushing 70 atleast, on a singlespeed shot past and burst my bubble.

Ohh well still impressed with my achievement.

David tomorrow is my rest day lets hope it makes a difference because im so sore.

Tom

Beware the old bloke on the tatty touring bike. You have to remember that 70 year old has probably been riding three hundred miles a week for the last 50 years. He is made of teak, has a zero body fat percentage, is immune to the weather (hot or cold he will always wear the same wooly hat ) and lives on a diet of chip butties and tea.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mj87
    mj87 Posts: 2
    I stopped riding for few years whilst at uni, but have got back into it over the last few months, slowly! The sore ars* thing is a killer for a while, best thing i did was invest in a decent(ish) pair of padded lycra shorts, which i always now wear underneath normal jeans/shorts etc. If you haven't got some already i'd suggest trying some, but not the cheapo ones i found them useless, spend a good £20-£30 and your ars* will thank you for it! :o