First Forum Win of the New Season?

BeaconRuth
BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
edited March 2009 in Amateur race
Many congratulations to Jeff Jones, BikeRadar Editor no less, and winner of the Chippenham and Dist Wheelers 24 yesterday.

Average speed 26.917mph :shock:

Jeff, you put over 2 minutes into Gavin Poupart, who is a former winner of the Beacon Little Mountain TT (bodes well for this year's LMTT) and Chris Birch broke the old Banbury Star Hardriders course record last week set by Dangerfield............ you must be absolutely flying. :D

Bet you're on a high today. :wink:

Ruth

ps. full results at http://cyclingtimetrials.janet0102.co.u ... &tabid=109

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Cool, nice job Jeff :D
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Cheers all - I'm totally over the (full) moon about it :D

Set a course record, beat a good quality field (which I didn't expect at all), got the pacing spot on (which saved me at least a minute compared to last year - thank you Alex Simmons) and was only 10W off my best ever power for that distance. Nursing a torn calf muscle as well, although it didn't give me problems on the day.

It was bloody windy, making it difficult to control the bike at times. But overall there was more tail than headwind. There was a nice 6km bit between Lyneham and Wootton Bassett where the wind was directly behind, we lost 40m altitude and I averaged 54km/h! That made up for the unforgivingly coarse road surface. Not a dual carriageway in sight on those roads.

I was number 40 and definitely among the lucky riders who started in the first half and got the best of the conditions (Peter Kench and Chris Madge also). I only got 10min worth of horizontal rain, whereas the later riders got a lot more. It would have been impossible to see anything in the headwind section, not that there was much to see.

Ruth, I've already booked a B&B on the course of the Beacon Little Mtn TT, so I'm all but there :wink: I'm really looking forward to it and should be completely over the injury by then.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Crikey that's quick :shock:
    Ther pros can't be much quicker surely :shock: :?

Nice one on the win by the way :D 8)