SRAM X-9 shif trigger not "returning"

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Got pretty new x-9 shifters on my Stumpy (replaced x-7s when they wore out).
The right hand shifter isn't "returning" after I have changed gear. It seems to be happening mostly with a "push" upshift (to lower gear) but also seems to be affecting the other trigger. Haven't caked the bike in mud since I got the new shifters. Any ideas anyone?
Should I take it apart and lube it or has a spring gone or something? The problem does seem to be slightly intermittent but can result in me not being able to change gear at all!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Don't take it apart... they can be a right bugger to get back together again.

Generally I open the cable insertion hole on my shimano ones and fill with GT85 periodically, I know it isn't a lube, but it keeps the thing running well.
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers - I sprayed it with GT85 but there's no obvious lubing hole/point. Will avoid taking it apart!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yer, I had the same issue and took it apart. Boooooiiiiinnnnnnggggggg!. Had to buy a new one in the end. It flew apart so quick I didn't see how it fitted together or where the bits that flew out went....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    If you look at the triggers, the cable insert hole is inboard of them. it is a rubber bung with a thread and a phillips type 'slot'.

I've become quite good at sorting out SRAM internals now and regularly take apart and lube all the internals, it's a 3d jigsaw, not rocket science. :wink:

To check the return of the shifter, undo the cable from the rear mech, check the return by pulling on the cable (put thick gloves on) and operating the shifter in both directions.

Pull the cable out of every section of cable outer to make sure there is nothing in these sections preventing the return. if there is still a problem when you have the whole cable coming straight out of the shifter, then there is something inside the shifter causing the problem. If no problem then it is either in the cable outer or the rear mech.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers Andrew!
  • ratty2k
    If you look at the triggers, the cable insert hole is inboard of them. it is a rubber bung with a thread and a phillips type 'slot'.

I.

On X9 you have to unscrew the silver screw/ and remove the top cap to get to the cable, there is no rubber bung with a phillips screw- although there is on Shimano....
    My Pics !

• andrewjoseph
    ratty2k wrote:

I.

On X9 you have to unscrew the silver screw/ and remove the top cap to get to the cable, there is no rubber bung with a phillips screw- although there is on Shimano....

My apologies, my X9 are 06-07. Not familiar with more uptodate SRAM.
    --
  • ratty2k
    Ah, therein the confusion lies, I havent seen the older versions! :)
    My Pics !

• Surf-Matt
    Now I'm confused too!
    My shifters are 2009 ones.
  • ratty2k
    Yer, same as mine- if they are stillunder a warranty, see about swapping them. The top cover to swap cables is easy enough to remove- undo the big silver screw and take off the cover. The bottom cover where most off the guubins lurk however....
    My Pics !

• tnwoolley
    tnwoolley Posts: 114
    I had exactly the same problem with my X7 shifter last week. After disconnecting the cable at both ends I found the cable was jamming inside the outer at a certain point near the rear mech, probably due to all the crud that had built up in there. Fitted a new cable and outer and it works like a charm again. Was a right pain in the butt to index mind you. Spent about two hours on it!
  • andrewjoseph
    you can find the X9-X0 shifter pdf here:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=2
    --
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers again Andrew - LBS time (AGAIN!) methinks. Only just had them fitted!
  • I had the same problem with my XT shifter. As soon as I loosened off the bracket to take it off the handlebars the trigger popped back into place though. Turned out it was just on too tight. But I suppose you would already have taken it off the handlebars to get a better look, so this is possibly not the most helpful of posts for me to put up here- sorry!
  • ratty2k
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Cheers again Andrew - LBS time (AGAIN!) methinks. Only just had them fitted!

You should just get a new one fitted for nowt then if thats the case- mine had been on for over 12 months. Never was sure why it happened, but not had a repeat of it (frantically searches for some wood.........)
    My Pics !

• Surf-Matt
    Ratty - think I will do. Lubed everything, made sure the rear mech springs are all okay, checked the cables (new XTRs) and it's still sticking.

Another trip to the LBS then!
  • timberjack
    timberjack Posts: 279
    i had the same trouble with my x7's and i have taken them to bits and cleaned them which works for a while but the plates inside wear which causes them to stick. I have just bought a pair of brand new shifters from merlin for £ 27
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • timberjack
    timberjack Posts: 279
    i had the same trouble with my x7's and i have taken them to bits and cleaned them which works for a while but the plates inside wear which causes them to stick. I have just bought a pair of brand new shifters from merlin for £ 27
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • Surf-Matt
    Well it seems that there is a design fault. Didn't get the exact details but they need taking apart and something needs filing off.

This on what are meant to be high end shifters!

Three months and they have died.

12 years later the LX shifters on my 1997 Stumpy are still absolutely fine!
  • Surf-Matt
    Apparently part of the internals are prone to corrosion which stuffs up the shift return.
    The corroded bit has to be filed off then it works fine.

So - 1997 LX shifter - 12 years and still fine.
    2009 X-9 shifter - 3 months...
  • Only had my Scott Genius since end of Jan & my X9 shifter hasjust gone the same way as yours. Not happy. At least I have a set of 5 months old XT shifters i can put on but thats not the point.

I have always had Shimano shifters/mechs on previous bikes & can't wait to go back to them. No impressed with SRAM at all.
  • stev0
    stev0 Posts: 131
    same problem with sram x7's!! seems to be a reocurring one!
  • Just spoken to biketreks & the guy in the service dept. said that 50% of the time this problem happens when the brake leaver has taken a knock & pushes down on the fragile top cover of the shifter. He said make sure the brake leaver is not touching it & that MAY sort it. If not I got to take it in & they send it back to sram!!!
  • adamreah
    adamreah Posts: 32
    I was just about to say the same thing as tightbarsteward. I had this problem, and to fix I simply moved the shifter away from the brake lever, hey presto returning normally.
  • adamreah wrote:
    I was just about to say the same thing as tightbarsteward. I had this problem, and to fix I simply moved the shifter away from the brake lever, hey presto returning normally.

I've tried this & didnt work. There was daylight between the lever & shifter anyway. My shifter then started working normally again, then locked up. Now it won't do anything. Bastardo!!!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    edited June 2011
    Had this problem yesterday with my X7 rear shifter - went to down shift and the lever did not return.

Stopped and checked - there was no return tension at all. Lever moved easily by had and I was able to return it manually and downshift again but again it did not return.

Strangely, if I then clicked the upshift, the downshift lever DID return...

No way to fix it in the field to had to wait until the evening.

Having had a look around I was guessing either the spring had snapped or lost tension or something holding the spring had snapped - or if I was really lucky it had just slipped out and needed to be reseated.

It was looking like a new shifter as getting the LBS to repair would probably have cost the same as a new one, so I thought there was nothing to lose by opening it and having a look.

Took the shifter off the bars and well away from the brake level and problem still there.

Played with the large allen key bit underneath but tightening or loosening it made no difference.

Went to open the housing by taking the 4 allen key bolts - loosened them all, took the first 2 off, then for some reason it started working again...!

tightened up the two remaining bolts - still working.

Back on the bars - still working.

Put everything back to gether and still working - like nothing had ever happenned.

So wondering now if either - spring had become unseated and allowing the housing to separate just slightly allowed it to pop back into place, or pehaps there was some dirt disrupting the mechanism which was moved by the slackening of tension on the housing and it fell out of the way.

Either way - happy it is now fixed but worried that it will recur...

Not ridden it properly since - just round the garden. Will need to go for a longer test ride tonight hopefully all will be OK.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    112574d1299881175-possible-install-double-din-stereo-into-my-vn-resurrection.jpg
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Should try putting a set of old x9's and new x7's together after everything has popped out of them, fun times I tell you but use some logic and look for the where the spring hooks and where the holes are for it !

The x9's I had which eventually I sold in preference for the newer x7's as they seemed rather poorly sealed with ingress of bits of grit/dirt evident despite being nearly new otherwise !