Need motivation and advice

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I used to do a lot of cycling when I had more of a 6 pack than a 12 pack, but i find it hard to get motivated now if I havent been out for a week or two. When I am out I love it, its hurts like hell but by the time I get off the bike I am already planing to go out again, then if I make a plan to go out and get caught up at work it gets put on the long finger and before you know it 2 weeks have passed. Any suggestions on how to keep myself motivated. I also seem to only have one pace which is flat out which doesnt do me any good at all cause I can do 10K flat out but will have to crawl the next 10. Any help or sugestions would be great
Paul

Comments

• rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    Join the local cycling club and go on the club run. Let them set the pace so you don't have to.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    When you get up at the weekend, put on your cycling gear. You don't have to go out right away, you can potter about and do all that cosy stuff that you do at weekends, but when the mood does take you, you are ready to go. Similarly, keep the bike ready to ride.

As for riding flat out, do you have a cadence computer? If so, try regulating cadence rather than speed; it does wonders for your endurance (and speed eventually).

Thirdly, keep a simple log book and set yourself a weekly/monthly mileage target. Not ridiculous, so that you can reach and beat it and you don't end up beating yourself up. I've entered the century a month challenge on here and it's got me on the bike when I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    pneumatic wrote:
    When you get up at the weekend, put on your cycling gear. You don't have to go out right away, you can potter about and do all that cosy stuff that you do at weekends, but when the mood does take you, you are ready to go. Similarly, keep the bike ready to ride.
    Good thinking. If you are going to 'seize the moment' you need to be ready when that moment occurs.

snakehips.jpg

1Tccropthumb.jpg
    Snakehips Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • le_grimpeur
    le_grimpeur Posts: 135
    I find a variety of rides works, and I have targets for each of them. I don't know how long your rides are, but I'll assume 40k, and I'll also have to assume you have some kind of bike computer, and hopefully it could measure your current average. Rather than go flat out for 10 then crawl, try to improve your average for the whole ride, whilst setting individual targets for each 10k. If you get bored trying to maintain the average, then why not 'spread your boredom' go flat out for 1km, recover for 1k then repeat. If it is speed you like, then is there a local club that features 10k and 25k time trials that you could join?
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
    Join a club
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I wrote a few blog articles on this very subject. Hope you can take the time to read them & find them inspiring:

How to get back into cycling.

Cycling in your thirties; gaining motivation & losing weight.
  • paulieb2006
    I wrote a few blog articles on this very subject. Hope you can take the time to read them & find them inspiring:

How to get back into cycling.

Cycling in your thirties; gaining motivation & losing weight.

Thanks for that. I can appreciate what you have said. Bit deep but makes since.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    Just to echo some of the advice you've already had ... cycling in good company is a massive motivator. If you know you've agreed to meet someone for a ride then you're more likely to just get on with it and not question whether you really fancy it or not. Also, the rides pass much more quickly when you enjoy a chat, concentrate on keeping up with a faster rider, encourage a newbie etc.

Also, I find having a target for each ride really helps. You could focus on average speed, time to get up a well known hill etc. I find if you measure things on your ride (average HR, average speed, cadence etc) and log it then it's hugely motivational to see yourself improving over time. I didn't think my cycling had improved much over the last couple of years but when I look back at my log I can see my distance and average speed are much improved now. Try it ... if it doesn't work for you then you've lost nothing.

Finally, you might want to enter a race / event that's a few months away. I've entered a couple of long distance races in the Summer and it's certainly focussed my mind on getting out and training!! :oops:
  • Shezzer
    edited March 2009
    Sorry, duplcated post.
  • Shezzer
    Bugger! And again.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    A club is not everyone's cup of tea, but company on a ride does help. Do you have anyone you can ride with?
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Don't mean to hijack - but having the same difficulty.

Don't really want to join a club despite everyone telling me to. Would rather hook up with a similar like minded sort of person a couple of times a week but can I get anyone to respond on Bikeradar??

I wish it was as easy to find someone to ride with - but it seems very difficult to me. I even suggested a 'ride buddies' section on the forum to try to solve it :(

It's great to be .....
  • paulieb2006
    A club is not everyone's cup of tea, but company on a ride does help. Do you have anyone you can ride with?

Might have something organized for the weekend, but never met the fella and dont know where i would be, in terms of his level and stuff. Will have to give it a go though. Went out this evening after work and got 20k in so am looking forward to the weekend.
  • paulieb2006
    pjh wrote:
    Don't mean to hijack - but having the same difficulty.

Don't really want to join a club despite everyone telling me to. Would rather hook up with a similar like minded sort of person a couple of times a week but can I get anyone to respond on Bikeradar??

I wish it was as easy to find someone to ride with - but it seems very difficult to me. I even suggested a 'ride buddies' section on the forum to try to solve it :(

If you are ever in Galway!!!!!