Tesco CREE 3w led torch now £7.84

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I haven't received the velcro thingies to attach it to the bike yet so I haven't used them, but I am intending to use them on my commute. I don't think you need blind anyone - just angle them slightly downwards or something. I also doubt they will be as bright with rechargeables once I have used up the batts provided. They are very bright though - you can't look directly into the beam, but they're pretty similar to my Cat Eye front light really, just much harder wearing as the body is made of metal rather than the plastic - I find plastic lights start to split and crack through the constant use/being pulled on and off the bike all the time.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I also doubt they will be as bright with rechargeables once I have used up the batts provided.

NiMH rechargeables deliver more light for longer than alkalines with high power LED's; alkalines will quickly dim.

An example showing 30 minutes to 50% for alkalines, 110 minutes to 50% on NiMH, 3 times better!

Fenix%20L1D%20CE%20-%20max.png
  • Headhuunter
    That's interesting, I have always found that lights are a little brighter with standard batts than rechargeables, however some of my batts are only 2500 mah, but others are 2700. I've got those Lockblock things you recommended so I'll be trying the torches on the bike tomorrow
  • alfablue
    An alkaline will be brighter maybe for the first few minutes, they start out at 1.5 volts, however this quickly diminishes, as you can see, almost straight away; the NiMH will deliver a steady average output higher than an alkaline (NiMH are rated at 1.2v, but they will probably deliver around 1.4 for 70% of the available charge).
  • Headhuunter
    OK I see. Well I'll burn through the Tesco batts provided first anyway. Now that it's light in the morning that may take a while
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You know you can buy an awful lot of non-rechargable batteries for the cost of a charger and rechargables and you don`t have to worry about charging them up and they don`t run out suddenly,either.It makes life much easier.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Headhuunter
    True, but very bad for the environment. There are some pretty nasty heavy metals (cadmium, mercury etc) in non rechargeables which apparently are now leaking into the water table and therefore into the water we all drink....
  • alfablue
    antfly wrote:
    You know you can buy an awful lot of non-rechargable batteries for the cost of a charger and rechargables and you don`t have to worry about charging them up and they don`t run out suddenly,either.It makes life much easier.

The environment.

And, 4x Duracell Alkaline AA = £3 if you're lucky

4x 2900mah Vapextech Nimh = £4.95

Smart charger, VApextech, £14.95

Recharge the batteries 7 times and you are in pocket.

Mine have been through 100+ cycles! 100x 4 Duracells, £300, cost of my setup, £19.90. The cost of laziness is high!

Also, Alkaline give you poor performance. They don't dim suddenly at the end of their charge, they dim all the way through. NiMH wins on every count, apart from the effort of charging (trivial), which is easily outweighed by the effort of shopping.

End of... :wink:
  • antfly
    Well when you put it like that,but you probably use a lot more than me, I use lithion batteries at about £1 each and they last me for ages.Of course recharging batteries all the time isn`t exactly enviromentally friendly either.
  • Headhuunter
    antfly wrote:
    Well when you put it like that,but you probably use a lot more than me, I use lithion batteries at about £1 each and they last me for ages.Of course recharging batteries all the time isn`t exactly enviromentally friendly either.

I don't charge very often at all once every couple of weeks or so and I don't think the leccy consumed charging a rechargeable can be compared to eth environmental damage of battery production and disposal. I think batts are cleaner than they used to be, however they remain on of the most nasty, polluting items in the home.

In terms of the environment, rechargeables win hands down easily. All major environmental pressure groups and charities (Greenpeace, FoE etc etc) are completely convinced on this and some even sell rechargeables and rechargers
  • antfly
    Greenpeace aren`t always right,I think they`ve just revised their opinion on nuclear power after years of opposition.
  • Headhuunter
    Yes, they're not infallible, I'm not arguing for or against nuclear power but there isn't much (anything?) to be said in favour of disposable batts from an environmental perspective