Bowing To The Inevitable...

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited March 2009 in Road general
....means that it is time I hung up my (fixed) wheels. I'm finding fixed (or rather one gear ratio - the "fixed" bit itself is no problem!) increasingly hard going and thus increasingly less fun - and I cycle for FUN! As I recall the French Tour dude reckoned variable gears were only for the over 45s - well, I'm comfortably in that category (tho' comfortably the wrong word!) so not feeling too much of a big girl's blouse so to speak.

Anyone interested, the Tricross and the Langster will shortly be appearing on the market. Neither will be rock-bottom prices but each will come with two sets of wheels and have been very well cared for. Both 54s.

Keep on fixing folk!
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    I'm sure you'd be OK if you moved somewhere flatter :wink:
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    If you enjoyed riding fixed - why not give the Sturmey Archer S3X a shot. I know it's been a while coming but it really does seem to be just over the horizon now.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    MrHulot wrote:
    If you enjoyed riding fixed - why not give the Sturmey Archer S3X a shot. I know it's been a while coming but it really does seem to be just over the horizon now.

Unfortunately it has seemed just over the horizon for a few years now. :(
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    GarethPJ wrote:
    MrHulot wrote:

Unfortunately it has seemed just over the horizon for a few years now. :(

Just so! I rather suspect that by the time it actually appears (and is proved in use!) that I shall be well beyond ANY cycling!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    It is also possible to convert a normal sturmy archer 3 speed into a fixed 2 speed, although I have no knowledge / experience of the process
  • GarethPJ
    Al_38 wrote:
    It is also possible to convert a normal sturmy archer 3 speed into a fixed 2 speed, although I have no knowledge / experience of the process

I think you probably need to add the word "allegedly" to that sentence. I've heard tell of the process, but I've never come across anybody (in the flesh on or the web) who has actually done it.

As I understand it it's not just a matter of swapping parts, but there is some machining involved. Not something I'd want to take on without a reasonably well equipped workshop and a reasonably well equipped engineer to operate it. Given skilled labour rates I doubt it would be cheap.

What puzzles me is why it seems to be so hard to make a fixed wheel hub gear. After all most gearboxes in other applications do not have a freewheel.

The original SA TF 2 speed reportedly had no free play and was simpler than later gears so it seems strange that later attempts were sloppy. Unless of course the TF had other problems.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    I have some drawings somewhere for the machining, it is pretty straight foward stuff from memory. Also, there is a chap who redesigned part of the hub to eliminate the free play.
    Look on fgg and there is a sachs 5 speed converted to 3 speed.
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    After rare sightings reported in the wild I thought I'd get the answer straight from the horse's mouth:

Sunrace replied minutes ago saying :

The hub should be available at the same time we get it here in the States. I am assuming you should see it in late April. If you have any further questions on who might be carrying the hub I would contact our European office at info@sunrace.nl .
  • GarethPJ
    Sounds promising.
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    I keep thinking I might put my Russ up for sale as it has a SA ASC hub (3 sp fixed), June 1950 is the date code on the hub.

It all runs nice and smooth. The hub was serviced not many years ago, when I put 700c rims on it (still got the original 27" rims for anyone wanting to go back to originality).

Trouble is, it so good to ride, but I don't use it enough, but if I sold it ..... :cry:
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • GarethPJ
    Must be honest I've never got on with the ASC, the primary advantage of a fixed wheel is the direct connection between pedals and wheel. I've tried a couple of ASCs and they both had so much free play there was no feeling of a direct connection to the wheel.

Why not stick the rear wheel on ebay. You'll make enough to buy a nice new fixed wheel and make a healthy profit.