Race Face X Cadence Chainset

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited March 2009 in The workshop
Park Tools says the fit of the spindle may be a bit "snug", and that mild force using a rubber mallet may be needed.

"Milld force" I don't think. I've not used a rubber mallet, but this thing won't budge, and I really don't fancy trying to get this thing off at some point in the future.

Is this normal because I'm all ready to send this back to Wiggle?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    Are you talking about the cranks axle going through the bottom bracket cups? if so it will be a tight fit as everything is new (I pressume) but when you need to remove everything will have bedded in enough to make things a little easier
  • cjcp
    Yep, that is a tight fit, but the problem is that the spindle that the chainset won't fit onto the spindle that fits through the BB.It gets about half way in and that's in.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    I can't make much sense of what you have said there BUT make sure you have the BB shells the right way round one will be drive side the other will be non drive side
  • cjcp
    BB shells are on the right way, although they are not the problem. When you try to fit the spindle (which is attached to the L/H crank) into the thread in the centre of the chainset on the R/H side, it only fits about half way in. It just won't budge after that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is what the bolt is for.

the splines are slightly tapered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjcp
    Yep, that works. Thanks very much. You're a star. 8) I've finished throwing my toys out of the pram now.

<Walks away shaking his head, wondering how he makes it through the day.>
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."