Maximum rim depth allowed by the UCI for road races?

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,702
edited March 2009 in Amateur race
What is it? I'm planning to race either later this season or next season, and I'm planning some new wheels. I've been looking at Planet-X Pro Carbon 50 clincher rims built on Tune hubs with DT revolution spokes which would make a very nice set of wheels for time trialling and hopefully road racing too... However, would I be allowed to run them in the road races?

I've looked in the UCI regs, but the only thing pertaining to rim depth is in section 1.3.018, which states that "the section of the rim must not exceed 2.5 cm on each side". This suggests a 25mm rim depth as the maximum (unless I'm misunderstanding the wording), which rules out the Pro Carbon 50s.

However... I have seen countless pro teams using the likes of Campagnolo Boras in road races, which are 50mm deep, same as the PX rims. So, what's the reality concerning what's allowed and what's not? It probably won't make any difference at cat 3/4 level, but I really don't want to get to a race and be told I can't use my wheels.

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Yes you can planet x site tells you they are road legal somewhere- i read it!
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    As a sub note i wouldnt want to ride carbon rims in some cat 4 races - crashes crashes crashes!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Zipp 1080s are UCI legal and they have a 10-11cm rim depth...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • There was a lad at the Eddie Soens today on the Planet X 101s.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    Doesn't the UCI - in it's own retrogressive way that we all know and love - class any rim deeper than 2.5cm as "non-standard"? Any deep wheels have to be approved by the UCI individually which no doubt the manufacturers have to pay a good amount for.

There's a list of approved wheels here:
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... M&LangId=1

I have no idea how this relates in reality to UK races though.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes that's right - anything deeper than the limit (sounds like that's 2.5cm) has to be specifically approved. In reality for the OP in lower cat racing I've seen loads of people with wheels that are non-uci approved and I'm 99.9% certain you'd have no probs with any 50mm rim so long as it had sufficient spokes.

I would use carbon wheels in lower cat racing if I had any - crashes aren't that common, your wheels aren't that likely to be trashed if you do crash and even if they are if you can afford to buy a pair losing them isn't going to bankrupt you.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • If you're planning on starting racing, which races were you concerned about that come under UCI rules?

Plenty of people ride Zipp 808s in E123 races run under British Cycling rules so although I haven't studied the rules, I don't think there's an issue.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think all BC races are under UCI rules - but yes typically it's the spirit of the rules that are enforced not the exact letter of the law - turn up with a 4 spoke you wont race - turn up with some 40mm deep rims with fairly traditional spokes that aren't specifically approved but and you shouldn't have any worries.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    There was a lad at the Eddie Soens today on the Planet X 101s.

Aye - seemed like every man and his dog had Zipp 404's or similar/better at the Soens this weekend - I was like..... oh sh*t :cry:
  • Mettan wrote:

Aye - seemed like every man and his dog had Zipp 404's or similar/better at the Soens this weekend - I was like..... oh sh*t :cry:

It could have been worse.

You might have had to wear a bikehut kit...

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • doonbar
    doonbar Posts: 4
    Mettan wrote:

It might not be the best looking kit in the world but it certainly slowing down at all is it !!!

When it comes down to it...deep section rims are highly highly unlikely to be the difference between you winning or loosing...They look fly and they are certainly fast BUT training is going to make far more difference !!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    doonbar wrote:
    Mettan wrote:

It might not be the best looking kit in the world but it certainly slowing down at all is it !!!

When it comes down to it...deep section rims are highly highly unlikely to be the difference between you winning or loosing...They look fly and they are certainly fast BUT training is going to make far more difference !!

Agreed on the training bit - although, it might be the difference between a 4th cat lasting 20 laps, rather than being booted off after 15.
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    Zipp 808's are UCI legal with an 81.00mm rim depth, those are about the deepest I know of.
  • Mettan wrote:
    doonbar wrote:
    Mettan wrote:

Agreed on the training bit - although, it might be the difference between a 4th cat lasting 20 laps, rather than being booted off after 15.

I don't think training is the key, it's the fact most of the other 4th cats were more interested in sticking each other in to the gutter on the back section with the cross wind than working together. I got in with a couple of the elite women (who had bigger legs than me :shock:) and worked with them for a bit. Was almost at the line when I got pulled up with the other final 4th cat guy (a bit older than me). Another 100 metres past the starting line and we'd have been home dry! Plan of action for next year is to get to the front and stay there or there abouts (or get shot out the back trying :lol: )

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Used to work for British Cycling and got asked this question all the time.

Essentially - unless you are a Pro or an Elite rider in the UK - no one will really care what sort of wheels you are suing - especially not at the Cat 3/4 level.

As others have said - there is a long list of deep section wheels that is approved for use by the UCI. And I am yet to hear of anyone NOT being allowed to use a specific brand of wheels in lower cat races in the UK.

BUt don't show up with a rear disc wheel for a road race! THEN you might have a problem. :)