Which spokes?

Tedx
Tedx Posts: 16
edited March 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi All

A couple of spokes have broken on the rear wheel of my Dawes Galaxy, I just wondered what the best type of spokes are to buy and where to buy them. The wheels are 700c of course.

Is it advisable to change them all while I'm at it?

Oh and will I need to remove the cassette?

Thanks guys

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It sounds like you might be best of taking the wheel to a bike shop or wheelbuilder. It could well be that the wheel could do with some a general check and tighten-up.

If you do it yourself, you will need to take off the cassette.

It may well be that someone on here knows the length and thickness of the spokes on the Galaxy, but if that fails a spoke ruler is a useful tool to get along with a spoke key.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    andymiller wrote:
    It sounds like you might be best of taking the wheel to a bike shop or wheelbuilder. It could well be that the wheel could do with some a general check and tighten-up.

If you do it yourself, you will need to take off the cassette.

It may well be that someone on here knows the length and thickness of the spokes on the Galaxy, but if that fails a spoke ruler is a useful tool to get along with a spoke key.

I found that in the past when I had a few spokes break, I started a sequence of regular visits to my LBS for subsequent replacements as other spokes started to fail. The breakages stopped when I had the wheel relaced with new spokes.

You can get away with leaving the casette on if the broken spokes are on the non drive side of the wheel. The cassette has to come off if the broken spokes are on the cassette side of the wheel.

I have my wheels built using Sapim Strong double butted spokes on the non drive side and single butted spokes on the drive side. I'm not sure of the gauge of the spokes though. I've had many trouble free miles with wheels built/relaced with Sapims.
  • Tedx
    Tedx Posts: 16
    Grasias