Breathable Rain Jacket??

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Is there such a thing as a breathable rain jacket??

I wore my Altura jacket this morning as it started to rain as i left and was roasted within no time at all. It's fine for the depths of winter but n ow it way too warm.

Would it maybe a better option to just put some waterproof spay on my jersey

Comments

• bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    having the gore oxygen 3 jacket i can say a waterproof jacket is going to retain a bit of moisture on the inside no matter how breathable it is. as along as your wearing a windproof jacket underneath you will be dry enough. im not really clued up about waterproofers tho i have used nikwax but its limitd to what waterproof material its good for- i think goretex & event.

people who have the endura event jacket or possibly the dhb event jacket could answer this better.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Is it the Night Vision? I've been using one through the winter just fine on my commute, but the last week it's been boil in the bag time.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    No
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    In the depths of winter I swear by my Altura Nightvision breathable http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Night-Vi ... _12005.htm
    It will depend how hard you ride as to whether it can breath as fast as you sweat or not. The waterproof tops tend to be more boil in the bag than wind stoppers and this one is just about waterproof, as in I've ridden for over 2 hours in pouring rain and stayed dry although by that time it was getting a bit heavy :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    i believe it is a nightvision that i have got.

Thats the problem i am like a boil in the bag dinner in this warmer weather.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Gill used to make a racing jacket in eVent fabric which was lightweight, totally waterproof and as breathable as any fabric you'll get. Unfortunately they stopped making cycling gear recently. but other companies use eVent fabric. Whether their seams are as well sealed I'm not sure, but well worth a look.

a serious case of small cogs