marin trail?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
hi all has anyone road the marin trail on here if so what should i expect?

Comments

• Starts off with a bloody long climb but then there's some really sweet singletrack sections. Only downer is the lack of visitor centre so no bike wash or cafe! I really like it and have always enjoyed even if it's been crap weather
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    A lot of fireroad... but the single track sections get better and end on a high... a very scenic trail with great views of Snowdon.

Do it if you don't mind fireroads...

If you do go down the road 10 mins and ride Penmachno which has a horrible first up on fire road but then is lots of single track...

Both are good though...
  • physiosteve
    physiosteve Posts: 194
    I luv the marin think the views are sum o the best to b had anywhere espesh in winter wen mountains have snow on.
    Its muc better to start at Betwys and just stick it in the granny ring to cimb the tarmac rd to join the trail proper. By time u hit the climb by main car park ur warmed up and its way better than doing it from the off, seams to hurt lot less
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    :) Dude, loose the txt speak!
    I think I prefer the Marin trail to the one at Penmachno... Penmac, is very very peddaly and while the last few sections are fantastic it can feel hard work for not much reward. Marin is much more up and downy (technical term) and I think flows better yep, some dull fireroad climbs, but better payoffs during the ride. First climb out is just a case of sit and spin- Fantastic view at the top when you get to "that" post.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    i have got a soft spot for marin, i have been there and ridden there all day or even called in for an hour and halfs riding, there are some great sections there which make the climbs even worth rewarding, you can easily link up the best bits which is what i did last time i was there because i only had under 2 hours worth of riding time, i managed to get a total of 3 full runs of the last 3 decents from top to bottom, 1 run of the first decent linked up to the last 2 decents with a few other runs in there as well, defo worth a visit,
  • physiosteve
    physiosteve Posts: 194
    Luv it boys..!
    At last a Marin Trail fan club

Tho Tom dude, u gotta lose that golf atire and get ur bike out more...!
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • Tho Tom dude, u gotta lose that golf atire and get ur bike out more...!

Could somebody translate this into a known language? Mandarin Chinese, Serbo Croat, or as a last resort English?
    Frank Yates
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    Luv it boys..!
    At last a Marin Trail fan club

Tho Tom dude, u gotta lose that golf atire and get ur bike out more...!

that picture was taken about 3 years ago now when i was playing at county level, mountain biking is my main sport now, well it was untill i broke my collor bone and took up watching tele and sleeping, :D
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The Marin's a good ride, as has been mentioned the 1st initial climb is about 3k's long but don't let it put you off because that gets you up there and there isnt much climbing to do after that, not as bad as that anyway.

The 1st climb is a slog but it gets you to the top sharpish and from there the singletrack starts. Get it on a good day and the views are wonderful.

There has recently been a bit of trail repair going on there and if you ask me it has taken some of the fun out of some sections however it has made the trail a lot faster.

If you have the choice of HT or full sus, choose the HT, a lot more fun :wink:

If you want more info on the trail and see some pics take a look at www.mbnw.co.uk
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Rode it this weekend for the first time.............loved it ! But not too good having done The Beast at C-Y-B the day before and being led on a 4 mile round trip detour when our 'leader' read one of the Marin signs wrong :? ............but still loved it :)