Drinking and Riding?

gbs
gbs Posts: 450
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
As a newbie I find the process of pulling the bottle from the cage etc destabilising and quite unnerving. Any tips from the old hands would be appreciated. :?
vintage newbie, spinning away

Comments

• Slow Down my son :roll:
  • ......... and have your hands on the hoods rather than the drops or tops. It's easier to steer in a straight line.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Choose a quiet straight section of road and when you don't have a vehicle up your backside. Stop pedallind when you pull the bottle from the cage and when you put it back in the cage. Make sure you have a drinks bottle that will easily slide in and out. I

t will get easier and you'll soon be able to do it without even thinking.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I tend also to use the bottle cage on the down tube as I find it easier to reach than the one on the seat tube, and swap the bottles when the downtube one is empty.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    I tend also to use the bottle cage on the down tube as I find it easier to reach than the one on the seat tube, and swap the bottles when the downtube one is empty.

Sounds like one handed juggling to me!
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Carl_P wrote:
    Choose a quiet straight section of road and when you don't have a vehicle up your backside. Stop pedallind when you pull the bottle from the cage and when you put it back in the cage. Make sure you have a drinks bottle that will easily slide in and out. I

t will get easier and you'll soon be able to do it without even thinking.

To be honest I think it is easier to ride as normal, same speed and still pedallig, slowing down makes bike more unstable.
    It is better not to look down but to feel for the bottle as looking down has same affect as looking behind, it can make you "wander" :D
    As for having the bottel come out easy, I make sure mine to not come out easy, there is nothing worse than riding behind some one who has loose fitting bottle and cage so when they hit a bump, out pops the bottle under your wheel!!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Practice makes perfect. Agreed that you should practice in carefully chosen places.

I was told once that the proportion of cycle accidents contributed to by riders reaching for drinks bottles (and food from back pockets) is quite high. Don't know whether that is true, but it seems plausible. The other one to watch (or not to watch!) is looking down at the sprocket to see what gear you are in. I have had some near misses with the kerb doing that over the years.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    gbs wrote:

If you practice its ok, just take the empty one out with the right hand then put it in the left then reach down with the right and swap bottles in cage then put empty in seat tube cage.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Don't get your watch strap caught on your rear-break cable if you're a lefty.

Almost caused many a crash by doing that.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    gbs wrote:

I hold the empty one in my teeth and swap them over
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    What do you drink on a ride? I can now ride for over 2 hours. I read that for anything up to 2 hours water is fine but i am finding that i ache quite a lot afterwards. What should I drink during my ride and post ride? :?

Cheers

Beefcake2
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I use psp22 during the ride and I always have a bottle of SIS rego in the fridge for when I get home. Works for me - if you're just starting to increase the miles you really want to be eating something every hour too
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    get a cammel bak they are amazing wont be destabalised by that oh and means less weight on the bike which cn only be a good thing
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917

+1 for this method.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd just go for the practice idea. Find a quiet road or a closed supermarket and practice for 30 mins - taking the bottles out and putting them back again.

Camelbacks are good for off road, but not so good on the road. Sweaty backs, and you can never really tell how much you have drunk.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm ok during the day but at night a couple of times I have taken the bottle out of the cage on the downtube and after taking a swig tried to put it back on the seat tube. Problem being I don't have a cage there, only a pump. Since I often drink after a spot of climbing, the fumbling in the dark then coincides with the next downhill section. Last night I nearly put the pump through the back wheel!
  • Colzer1
    Colzer1 Posts: 58
    buy a camelback
    Pace RC405
    Pace RC303
    Specialized A1 Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Bits A Bike SingleSpeed mountain bike
    Single speed Reynolds steel framed road bike
    1992 Marin rocky Ridge
    1990 Trek 8000
    1991 Kona Fire Mountain
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Practice on a turbo if you have one. Then you can get the action dialled for when you hit the road (jack).
  • le_grimpeur
    le_grimpeur Posts: 135
    Also, extract the bottle along the direction of where its placed, rather than just tugging at it
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions