Raleigh Avanti U6 Pro........worth getting??

noidea123
noidea123 Posts: 68
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all. I'm in the lucky position of being able to purchase the above bike at a heavily discounted price. Should be paying around £700 instead of the RRP of £1299. However, I don't mind admitting I have no idea about bikes.

I did my first mini-triathlon last year on my first ever road bike, and have definately got the bug for cycling. However, my choice of a Viking Milano bike for about £250 was made with price in mind. Now I've got the above to invest, I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely. I know I'm getting a very good disccount, but is the bike and the kit on it any good?? As I say, I have no idea at all. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this link works. The specs shows you whats on it.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=547

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    If you're happy with the feel of the bike dip your bread.

It's a well spec'd bike for £1200 let alone £700.

Compare the pec of a £700 bike at the side of the Raleigh, you'll find it is of a far lower standard.

GET IN THERE MY OWD. :!:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • noidea123
    That'll do for me! Thanks for taking the time to have a look.
  • Cabelly
    Cabelly Posts: 43
    Hi. I was considering this bike but not been able to try one out. Have you tried it yet ? Do you know what the weight is ?

It's really between this, I've seen one one for about £650 or the Team boardman 09

Cheers
  • noidea123
    No not yet. Where have you seen it for £650? Not sure on the weight i'm afraid.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Its overpriced at the RRP, but you're getting a lot for your money at £700.

For £1300 you could have a full carbon, highly rated Ultegra (or part Dura ace even?) Planet X or Ribble.
    More problems but still living....
  • noidea123
    Thanks. Is there anything in the £600-700 bracket yoou would recommend as a better buy?? Heard a Giant SCR 1 is good but genuinely don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be looking for! Or even though RRP is high, am I doing the right thing spending £700 on the Raleigh?
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I'd probably keep an eye n ebay providing you know what size you require etc
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Don't think you'll find a better new bike with that spec at that price.

The Giant is good (crap wheels though), but IMO the Raleigh (at £700) is a better deal.
    More problems but still living....
  • noidea123
    Thanks very much for the advice. Much appreciated
  • Cabelly
    Cabelly Posts: 43
    I saw the Airlite U6 Pro for £649 at Pauls cycles and as far as I can see they're exactly the same bike.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... HT_U6_PRO_

I phoned them yesterday. They said if they're still advertised on their site then they have them in stock.

Think I'm going for a Boardman Team 09. I know Halfords are getting knocked but the guys at the Poole shop have been pretty helpful and its somewhere close to take back if theres a problem. Plus I haven't been able to find any shop that stocks the Raleigh U6s.

Keep us informed if u get it.
  • noidea123
    Got the bike, a 2009 model and been out on it. Absolutely supurb!! First time i've actually ridden a decent bike, and can't believe the difference. So much lighter and quicker than i'm used to. Definatly recommend......although i've got nothing to compare it to!