Sorry another new bike Question- how boring!

Nasher2u
Nasher2u Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Ok, currently riding a plain simple Trek 1000. I like it but its time for an upgrade as I have got the bug! Doing my first 100 miler this year and want something a bit more speccy/interesting. I will go upto one thousand pounds or so. Been looking so far at

Bianchi 1855 Carbon Ultegra Evans - 1050 pounds
Specialized Tarmac Elite 2008 with 105 shimano - 899 pounds
Ridley Triton C - 1050 pounds
Trek 2000 - 1150 Pounds
Boardman Team Carbon - 999 pounds (only 1 year G'tee?)

Any views - i tend to cycle on average between 50-100 miles per week at the moment but will be ramping it up in coming months with 100 miler in August. I am testing these over coming week but any information beforehand appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Nasher2u wrote:
    Ok, currently riding a plain simple Trek 1000. I like it but its time for an upgrade as I have got the bug! Doing my first 100 miler this year and want something a bit more speccy/interesting. I will go upto one thousand pounds or so. Been looking so far at

Bianchi 1855 Carbon Ultegra Evans - 1050 pounds
    Specialized Tarmac Elite 2008 with 105 shimano - 899 pounds
    Ridley Triton C - 1050 pounds
    Trek 2000 - 1150 Pounds
    Boardman Team Carbon - 999 pounds (only 1 year G'tee?)

Any views - i tend to cycle on average between 50-100 miles per week at the moment but will be ramping it up in coming months with 100 miler in August. I am testing these over coming week but any information beforehand appreciated.

Thanks.

Are they the weights or the prices?

If you have to buy a Boardman from Halfords, I wouldn't.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • jrab
    jrab Posts: 99
    Depends to some extent which suits your style and riding plans? Are you more likely to do town-centre criterium races or the Etape du Tour?

The geometry is important - is the front end low and racy or a bit higher for more comfort? Which one comes with the gearing you want - "race" 53/39, "compact" 50/34, or triple?. Eg I think the Spesh & Bianchi come with 53/39 chainrings rather than a compact - would make many sportives hard work (unless you can manage 250+ miles a week to get fit.....)

As far as I know Ridleys tend to have quite a firm ride - fast and direct handling, but not so good for long-ride comfort (doesn't help if you just want to get off after 80 miles of a 100, or if you pick up neck/shoulder strain which limits your mileage).

Boardman is a good bike - pretty irrelevant whether it comes from Halfords, all the bits are quality the only thing Halfords could mess up is the build and set up. If you're half-confident with a set of allen keys you can set it up properly when you get home or take it to LBS. You never know, Halfords could actually do a good job...! The Boardman range does seem to have a racy emphasis, with quite a low front end.

Of the bikes you mentioned I would put the Spesh, Ridley & Boardman at the racy end of the scale, with the Bianchi & Trek more "sportive". Out of those, I'd probably go for the Boardman, but that's personal.

I would also consider Ribble Nero Corsa & Sportive, Jamis Xenith, Dolan Mythos, Raleigh Airlite Carbon Comp (some silly prices on web).

Richard
  • Nasher2u
    Nasher2u Posts: 3
    Figures quoted are prices (have lost my pound sign)?!

Richard, thanks for thoughts, thats helpful. Just had a nose and a wizz round on the SpeshTarmac Elite. Loved it, I just think for below 900 quid its a great bike.

Have tracked a Boardman down (one left in my size) so hope to look at that tomorrow. As you have a guessed cycling is not my first sport but I am v fit in terms of other activities and have good leg strength and endurance (rowing/running) . The Spesh is a 53/39 your correct, my longest ride to date is 30 miles in one hit so only on short rides at the moment. Could you advise in your experience how much difference a 53/39 V Compact would make? I dont expect to really max out over 150/200 miles per week, I am a cycling commuter and fun training rider with the odd competitive multi challenge event now and again. Is it worth me worrying about the Compact V Race?

Also take your point on the Ridley which is helpful because I do struggle with neck stiffness generally (desk job!!!).

Having looked at the Spesh in the flesh I was suprised how much more "racey" it was than my Trek, so think your right in terms Sportive v Racey, although I need to see the Bianchi and look into the other models suggested. Thanks again for your input.

Si.