cycling tights

rose04
rose04 Posts: 17
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Silly question, I don’t really understand cycling clothing but are these supposed to be a base layer worn underneath?? Or can they be worn on they own?

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=266

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi rose04, nope not silly at all...

Buyer's Guide to Lycra Shorts - that might help.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nope, those are intended to be worn on their own. No underwear either!
  • rose04
    M.Cole wrote:
    Hi rose04, nope not silly at all...

Buyer's Guide to Lycra Shorts - that might help.

Cool, very useful link, thank you!
  • rose04
    keef66 wrote:
    Nope, those are intended to be worn on their own. No underwear either!

No underwear :shock: :shock:
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Otherwise you'll end up with crotch rot :shock: :oops:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    rose04 wrote:
    No underwear :shock: :shock:

Underwear == VPL :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • rose04
    ok, now that makes sense why I never saw for sale in the cycling shop any underwear lol
  • rose04
    But just out of curiosity, isn’t the fabric unhygienic? I mean sure you can wash it after every use with detergent but is not like pouring bleach on it.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    rose04 wrote:
    But just out of curiosity, isn’t the fabric unhygienic? I mean sure you can wash it after every use with detergent but is not like pouring bleach on it.

Do you pour bleach on your pants? :shock:
  • rose04
    Graeme_S wrote:
    rose04 wrote:

Do you pour bleach on your pants? :shock:

not on my pants for sure :lol:

But I wash with bleach anything I can get away with, from bed covers and cotton t-shirt etc, everything should be sterilized even if it needs it or not from time to time!!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "But I wash with bleach anything I can get away with" :shock:

The detergent manufacturers have spent a fortune advertising products free from bleaching agents because they claim they cause colours to fade. Have we been duped?? Have I been buying Persil Colour when I don't need to??

I know my swimming trunks get paler every swim cos of the bleachy chemicals in the pool.

I'd recommend never bleach anything containing lycra if you want it to stay stretchy.

As far as I am aware, clothing does not need sterilising unless you are planning to wear it to perform surgery.

I wear my cycling shorts / tights for several shortish rides or one or two long ones before they are washed, and never suffer nappy rash.
  • ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    I use endura padded briefs as well as bib shorts and find it all very comfy and not too much VPL.

I seem to have avoided crotch rot (sounds great ) but I dio have a shower prior to my ride to work and once I get to work.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I agree. Using bleach is going to take the colour out of anything and it'll just destroy lycra. I haven't ever bleached anything other than the toilet and the sink and I'm still alive....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946

Sounds nice.. and I use underwear under my shorts!!! :shock:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Gav888 wrote:

Sounds nice.. and I use underwear under my shorts!!! :shock:

After 30 miles or so doesn't your crotch become.......um.....how to say this.........wet, uncomfortable and nasty :oops: :wink: :arrow:

(Nothing worse than a sweaty crrotch imo)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My Dad wore cotton underwear with his padded shorts for a few weeks. After several rather unpleasant discussions we finally worked out what was causing all his personal chafing. No problems since he stopped wearing them.

I don't even use detergent with my stuff any more. Just use Ecoballs. They're brilliant, highly recommend them.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If you don't like the idea of wearing nothing underneath your tights, then you can get tights without a pad and cycling specific underwear.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Well, I went out for what was supposed to be a 35 mile ride in the Surrey Hills with the Cycle2Cannes crew and did 57 instead wearing pants, track suit bottom and baggy MTB shorts on a Trek 1.7, which fits very well. I did suffer a little scrotal abrasion, but as everything else was hurting so much I didn't notice.

Are MTB loose shorts no good then? They seemed OK once I ditched the track suit bottom.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Could this become as contentious as the helmet threads?

Personally I refuse to wear lycra shorts until the government make the wearing of chamois compulsory for all pedestrians - surely there are more sore posteriors amongst pedestrians, and motorists. :wink:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    You have to go commando IMO. It sounds weird to newbies, but once you've tried it, you wont go back.

Any other layers will cause chafing after a while in the saddle.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    After suffering cold legs a few times recently I decided to get some longs. I had a look in Evans then went in to an 'outdoors' type shop called Cotswold. I bought a pair of Ron Hill longs intended for running in rather than cycling , for £22.. The are not very tight so they don't make my legs look like pipe cleaners. I tried them out at the weekend with padded cycling shorts underneath , and was hapy with the result.

snakehips.jpg

No pictures of them I'm afraid , just pictures of my bikes

1Tccropthumb.jpg
    Snakehips Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!