Forth & Clyde Canal - route advice please

BigSpecs
BigSpecs Posts: 309
edited March 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys,
I want to cycle from Glasgow to Linlithgow and I think you can do it on this canal path? Can anyone give me some advice about the condition of the route? and in particular where to get on? I live in Pollokshields, south of the river. I would be looking to join the route somewhere around central Glasgow. I understand that you can join in Maryhill somewhere but I don't know where...
Many thanks,
Col.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have you tried looking at multimap.com? You can view Ordnance Survey maps which normally show cycle paths (with big green dots).
  • philkeeble
    philkeeble Posts: 109
    Hi,
    My wife and I cycled the Pedal for Scotland last year and returned next day from Edinburgh via the canal towpath. It's a great ride (and no hils, naturally). Cake stop at the Falkirk Wheel and a few pub stops also. We came into Glasgow through Kelvingrove Park after turning away from the canal at Maryhill. Path is well signposted.

Towpath condition is very good. For us it rained all the way from Edinburgh and the bikes were well silted up by the time we arrived with gears failing to change cleanly, and it minced our brake pads. This was due to the constant muddy water being hosed over the moving parts.

Advice : take a loud whistle to blow as you approach each bridge 'cos there's quite a few dog walkers with iPods who don't hear you coming!

I'd do it again ... but not in the rain.

Phil
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    I have cycled sections of it, but not the whole way sadly (usually only the section from Croy / Kilsyth back to Glasgow after a trip to Carron Valley).

However, in respect of joining it somewhere, you can join it at Spiers Wharf just on the other side of the M8 (near Cowcaddens) - that's the end point (or start depending on how you look at it).

Alternatively, if you head up Maryhill Road, it will be on your right side as you cycle up - just past where Firhill is. You will see a grass bank, and the path runs along the top of it all the way out to the Falkirk Wheel (i think).
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Get to the West End via the footbridge by the SECC (there's a cycle path south of here), then into Kelvingrove Park, up the Kelvin as far as the Maryhill locks, and Bob's your uncle. The path is excellent, but take a spare tube as there's glass in places.